Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concern With Avira Antivir Personal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

When I open Avira's main window, the Active Guard says that it's deactivated for less than a second then suddenly activates. The umbrella icon in the taskbar is always open and it never says it's deactivated. Is this normal or is there a problem?

Also, when I was updating Avira, when it was about to install the updates, I lost Internet connection.It wasn't updated but It didn't say any errors. The next day I was able to update successfuly. I'm concerned if the updated files are corrupt because of the failed update.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:34 PM

Hello Lloyd T,

I believe that is normal behaviour for the product. With the updating, try cleaning out temp files and perform amanual update from within the product, as opposed to automatic updating.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:35 PM

Where do I get the manual updates?

#4 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:14 PM

I believe nigglesnush85 means you update the Anti-Virus Software yourself by opening the Program Interface and finding the Update Button probably somewhere in tools or you should be able to right click on Avira in the Icon Tray at the bottom and select Update.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:00 PM

I'm sorry, I should have rephrased. Basically what woodyblade just said.If you still have problems with updating I would uninstall then reinstall.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

That's what I did. So is Avira OK?

#7 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:39 PM

So is Avira OK?

I use it and have had no problems. It certainly performed well in the av-comparatives tests, as has been pointed out elsewhere.

You get the nag-screen to purchase the full version during an update, and it wails like a banshee when it thinks it has detected something.

Other than that, great.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:59 AM

I agree with KingOfIdiocy's statement that Avira is great. If you are in any doubts about the integrity of your installation I would advise uninstalling and reinstalling.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:17 AM

An incomplete file, or an interrupted file, will not be on your hard drive, and hence will not be found by Antivir when it next reminds you that your definition file needs updating. You can confirm this by looking in Antivir's Reports for the date and time when your download was interrupted.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users