Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer Rearranges My Icons No Matter What I Do

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 coren

coren

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

I'm running XP Home. I do a lot of work on my computer that makes it the most convenient for me to have my icons in an order that I specifically create, one which doesn't adhere to "Date Modified", "Name" etc.

That being said, I cannot convince Windows/Explorer to leave my bleeping icons alone when I exit a folder. No matter if Auto Arrange is checked or unchecked, they still end up sorted by name (unless, and this is the only exception I have found to date, I choose Date Modified. In which case I get the annoying information about when the file was modified, which doesn't really suit my purposes either (Of course, if there were a way to sort by Date Modified without the line of information about when a file was modified, that'd be just perfect)).

The most irritating thing? Some folders don't do this! Some work jsut fine and stay in whatever order I put them in, no matter what.

What I've tried:

Disabling Auto Arrange Icons or having it enabled
Disabling Align to Grid or having it enabled (in every combination possible with Auto Arrange)
Going into a folder that does exactly what I want and via the Tools>Folder Options telling all folders to use these settings
Increasing the value of BagMRU Size in HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Policies\Shell and ShellNoRoam to a value well above 400 (I believe I have 50,000 as of right now)

Any suggestions? Is the problem clear enough?

Oh, one more point, this doesn't have to do with my desktop icons - when I was trying to find the solution to this problem on my own I can't tell you how many irrelevant pages about fixing desktop icons and programs to remember desktop icons I came across.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users