Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Organizing Hd

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 johng411

johng411

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

Hi all!
I have a question about organizing my hard dr. About a month ago my dr. died and I had to install XP on the new drive. This time I was going to be smart and create two partitions one for xp and the rest for programs and data. Good idea right. I allocated 8 gb for xp C: and the rest 224 gb is H: My question how do I get xp to use H: as the default drive for those programs that donít give you the option when loading , and can I move a program that loaded on C: to H: ?

Thanks johng

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:44 PM

Hello johng and welcome to BC.

As far as I am aware C:\ is the default drive letter and as a result all applications will be stored there. If there are programs on this partition I would uninstall them then reinstall them to the other partition.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

FWIW: A better idea is probably to install XP and the programs together, IMO.

There is no advantage to having them separated, since losing either one means that the programs won't work at all. Programs store many files in Windows, they are not complete without those files/entries. All that putting programs on another drive does is...slightly increase the time it takes for communication between XP and the program. C: is the default location for programs...because someone probably has found that Windows works better with those files close at hand in an expected location.

8GB is a bit small for XP, I could see doubling that. I use 20GB as my standard and I currently have 8GB free, with no hiberfil.sys file or indexing or System Restore taking up space.

Louis

#4 johng411

johng411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for getting back to me so soon.
My plan was that if XP went bad I could just replace it and not have to reload and set up all my applications.I thought it was a good strategy

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:17 PM

Unfortunately Windows doesn't work that way. When you install an application it modifies the registry, which is stored on the Windows partition. So if you reload Windows all this registry information will be lost and you will have to reinstall your applications anyway.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 johng411

johng411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:39 PM

So I guess I misunderstood what an OS partition would do for me. Is there a way to make that partition bigger now, and is there a strategy that would help me achieve my goal of a simpler reload when necessary. how about cloning the whole partition to another drive?

well thanks for putting me on the right track.
johng

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:20 AM

You could use something like http://www.partition-manager.com/ to change partitions. Though be advised that altering partitions can be dangerous and if done incorrectly can result in a damaged system. Back up first before using just in case.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,385 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

...and rather than clone the partition to another hard drive (which works but IMO wastes drive space), why not just use a program to create a disk image of your system after it's initially set up, fully updated, and working properly?

You could even expand that to periodic disk images, where everything on the system is captured for possible future use as a system replacement or just to replace individual files.

A cloned partition would be full size of that partition...while a disk image will can be compressed approx 50% and safely stored until needed/wanted.

Louis

#9 johng411

johng411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

...and rather than clone the partition to another hard drive (which works but IMO wastes drive space), why not just use a program to create a disk image of your system after it's initially set up, fully updated, and working properly?

That sounds very interesting. Coa you direct me to where I can get more information on that topic.
Thanks

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,385 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronis_True_Image

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users