Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen After Windows Log In

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 akayshabloom

akayshabloom

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:54 PM

When Dell 4600 Desktop computer is turned on, starts to load windows xp then goes black and the green power button on the monitor begins to blink. The only thing I see before it goes black is keyboard failure on a DOS screen.

I can start the system in safemode w/ networking by hitting F8. As you can see the keyboard works fine. I cannot start anything from normal mode. Most times I cannot even get a desktop. It goes black to fast to do more than F8 or F2 or F12 something like that.

In safemode I have run spybot search and destroy, avg free 8.0, spyware remover several times. It has pulled several things and seems to be removing it.

I also tried system restore in safemode back several weeks... I see changes in the screens but still not fixing the situation.

I have not tried doing hijack logs or anything like that because I didn't know if it would give the correct information in the safemode.

Here is one more thing that might be a clue...... in the control panel I seem to be missing an icon. I have not figured out which one but it starts with a N or a P.

I just know there has to be an answer because it works fine in safemode... but we all know it is not really safe... so I would love to have some help fixing this.

Any ideas......

Tina
akayshabloom

Edited by akayshabloom, 19 August 2008 - 03:02 PM.

akayshabloom
Tina

Don't Forget to Breathe...
It is the beginning of life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

What kind of keyboard is this?

It helps if we can read the infamous DOS message.

Louis

#3 akayshabloom

akayshabloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:04 PM

Keyboard is just a GE - keyboard... nothing special. I have changed it out with another $12.00 keyboard and still having the same problems.

I tried to reboot in normal mode to get the keyboard message and all I get is the windows XP loading window... then the Blue two toned Welcome window comes up and then goes black.
akayshabloom
Tina

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:14 PM

Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 akayshabloom

akayshabloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

Thank you Budapest....

I did exactly as you requested. (Great instructions). It said that it had fixed some errors.

I rebooted and Sadly as soon as it got to the two-toned blue welcome screen the monitor went black with the green blinking power light.

Please tell me there is hope...

Thanks again.
akayshabloom
Tina

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

Try it again and see if it is still reporting errors.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 akayshabloom

akayshabloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

ok.. I will try again now....

Thanks.
akayshabloom
Tina

#8 akayshabloom

akayshabloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

Budapest,

I have ran through the instructions for the recovery console 3 times. The second time when it restarted in normal mode it actually loaded the desktop and I heard sounds... for about 10 seconds....then it went black. The third time it went back to the original problem of the immediate black after the blue welcome screen.

Each time it has said it found and fixed one or more errors.

Didn't know if I should continue running the recovery cd.

Thanks again.
akayshabloom
Tina

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

If it is continuing to report errors then there may be a problem with your hard drive.

Go to the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive and download their diagnostic test to test your drive. Normally it's a bootable CD, so you don't need to be able to boot into Windows to run it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 akayshabloom

akayshabloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:46 AM

Budapest,

The only IDE Diagnotics test I have found are through Dell since that is the computer brand. I have run those tests and they advise the Primary IDE - Pass.

I also let the computer run the diagnostic tests on anything else I could find through the Dell Dimension Resource CD. Everything passed.

I am still only able to boot the computer in the safemode with networking. In this mode I can do anything and go anywhere.

Let me know your thoughts... thanks again.
akayshabloom
Tina

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:07 PM

If your only problem is that you can't get into regular mode in windows (but you can get into Safe Mode) - the most likely cause for this is corrupted video drivers (although it could be other drivers also - but that's less likely).

In Safe Mode, go to Control Panel and uninstall your video drivers from there. (NOTE - the video drivers that you use in Safe Mode are different from the video drivers used in normal mode).

If you're unable to identify your video drivers in this way, then we'll have to do some further checking to see what kind of video display adapter you've got.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 akayshabloom

akayshabloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

usasma,

I am fairly computer literate, but I want to make sure I know what you are wanting me to do. I understand the safe mode video drivers are different than normal mode.

I found the display adapter under Control Panel / Systems / Hardware. It says it is NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS. Is this what I am looking for?.

If I click Properties then the Driver tab it gives me the option to uninstall the drivers. What will happen next? What should I do next?

Just want to be prepared.

Thanks again
akayshabloom
Tina

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:55 PM

The two most common causes of the Black screen error in XP are problems with the hard drive or problems with the video drivers. Since your hard drive passed the Dell diagnostic, we can presume that it's OK physically. The next thing to consider is the Master Boot Record, Boot Sector, and the integrity of the file system itself. We can presume that these are good since you can boot into Safe Mode. That leaves the video drivers as the next most likely culprit.

You can uninstall the driver from there, but I'd recommend uninstalling it from Control Panel...Add/Remove programs instead. That'll remove more traces of it than just the driver (it's a long story, but there's more to a corruption than just the driver itself - especially with older nVidia drivers).

Once it's uninstalled you should be able to boot into normal mode - but the sizing of your screen will be like you're still in Safe Mode (because it'll be using the same drivers that it uses for Safe Mode).

Most times you can't install drivers in Safe Mode, but you can give it a try. Here's the most up to date nVidia driver for your system. Just download this file to your Desktop: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

Once you've uninstalled the nVidia drivers from Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs (and have rebooted) - then double click on the file to install the new drivers.

It's important to uninstall first - as that'll remove the corruption. The installation of the new drivers won't necessarily overwrite the corruption - so the uninstall is needed. With the older nVidia drivers, sometimes a special driver removal tool was needed to get rid of all the traces - but the more recent drivers have improved enough that that tool is rarely needed these days.

Let us know how it works out for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 akayshabloom

akayshabloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:18 PM

usasma,

Thank you... your instructions were good.

It was working well until it wouldn't come on at all. I checked the diagnostic lights on the back of the CPU and you guessed it the video card is not working at all. My guess is that it died.

I won't be able to buy a new one until Friday. Until then I have attempted to turn it on several times and it does not respond to anything and stays black all the time.

I think the lights are right. I will update you later..

Thanks for all of your time and knowledge.

Tina
akayshabloom
Tina

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:45 AM

Well, it's good that the diagnostics verified the video card issue - because that's one of the last things that we check here (because it usually requires another video card to test with).

When installing the new video card, ensure that you:
1) Unplug the computer from the wall
2) Touch the metal of the case (to ground yourself) before going inside the case.

The new video card should work properly from the start - but you'll have to install the drivers for it once you get into Windows.

Let us know how things go and we'll work on it from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users