Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NIS - Firewall problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 probinhtown

probinhtown

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:03 PM

Hope someone can help out... I recently installed NIS and when the "firewall protection" is "on", i can not acces the internet, gives me the "page can not be found" error. i've tried to change some of the settings within the firewall protection tab, but nothing works unless i turn that specific part of NIS completely "off". then the internet works fine.

i have windows XP home.

any ideas? should i just leave this part of NIS "off" and find some other type of firewall protection? TIA.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bradly

bradly

• Deactivated
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:21 PM

Sounds like your browser is being blocked by NIS.

Assuming that you use IE:
- Open NIS.
- Click Personal Firewall.
- Click Configure on the right side of the screen. Click the Program Control tab.
- Locate and click iexplore.exe in the list at the bottom of the screen. Under the heading Internet Access, click the arrow beside the iexplore.exe- entry.
- Click Automatic.
- Click OK.

If IE looks like its being allowed already, then NIS is probably messed up.

I would personally uninstall all symantec products (NAV, NIS) and just go with different, and seperate, Antivirus and Firewall programs.
Shrinkwrapped - Free PC Therapy

#3 probinhtown

probinhtown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I followed your instructions and when i try and add "iexplore.exe" it gives me an error message that says I'm trying to add a program that already has rules (or something to that effect, I can't recall exactly). Not sure what that means. It does show internet explorer but the iexplore.exe is not in the "list".

#4 bradly

bradly

• Deactivated
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:04 AM

I've seen NIS cause many many problems.

Did you end up uninstalling NIS?
Shrinkwrapped - Free PC Therapy

#5 probinhtown

probinhtown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:59 PM

I've seen NIS cause many many problems.

Did you end up uninstalling NIS?

actually, i just turned NIS personal firewall permanently off and am using a different firewall (Zone Alarm? - iirc).

thanks again for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users