Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xoftspyse Anti-spyware Program

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

Having noted the comments on antimalaware programs thread
which mentions the XoftSpySE Antispyware Program ,I went 'investigating', as I have never heard of this program .

May I ask the Experts on here their opinion of this program? IS it to be 'recommended 'or is it really worth avoiding?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

XoftSpy is a program that was previously listed as a rogue product on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products List because of concerns with False positives, questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising, including exploitation of the name "Spybot". It has since been delisted but in my opinion it is not a very effective program compared to others with a proven track record. XoftSpySE is an upgraded version.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

I have to echo Quietman7's comments. While the company may have cleaned up its deceptive advertising and scamming ways, it really shouldn't be trusted.
For the exact reasons I listed in that linked topic. There are far too many programs out there that have a good track record... would you trust a company that was founded on the principle that it was OK to spam/scam people by using deceptive practices? I certainly cannot.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 tkrueger08

tkrueger08

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:52 PM

I found a great [post="http://www.reviewmoz.org/xoftspyse.html"]review of XoftSpySE[/post] at Reviewmoz.org. Find out what the experts thought of it. It was rated quite well if I remember right...

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

XoftSpy is a program that was previously listed as a rogue product on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products List because of concerns with False positives, questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising, including exploitation of the name "Spybot". It has since been delisted but in my opinion it is not a very effective program compared to others with a proven track record. XoftSpySE is an upgraded version.

I have to echo Quietman7's comments. While the company may have cleaned up its deceptive advertising and scamming ways, it really shouldn't be trusted.
For the exact reasons I listed in that linked topic. There are far too many programs out there that have a good track record... would you trust a company that was founded on the principle that it was OK to spam/scam people by using deceptive practices? I certainly cannot.

Agreed :thumbsup:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:15 AM

I found a great [post="http://www.reviewmoz.org/xoftspyse.html"]review of XoftSpySE[/post] at Reviewmoz.org. Find out what the experts thought of it. It was rated quite well if I remember right...

may be this link ?

review of XoftSpySE??

a few more 'observations ....
http://www.paretologic.com/xoftspy/se/newlp/xray/?uid=dilm1

*XoftSpySE detects and perfectly removes over 225,000 harmful, dangerous and likely unwanted applications

??is this not an unsafe 'claim 'for ANY program to make ??

We are your trusted PC security partner and guarantee timely, accurate updates & automatic removal of ALL intrusive PC threats!

then why is this tool not used on any of the HJT forums for example?

http://www.reviewmoz.org/xoftspyse.html

If something goes wrong, XoftSpySE advertises that you have live chat customer service representatives just waiting to help you out.

assuming you can get on line :thumbsup:

#7 tkrueger08

tkrueger08

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

Sorry guys, posted a bad link.

#8 DazzaH2

DazzaH2

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:54 PM

it finds plenty but wont remove them till u buy the full program,since it was advertised as freeware i was highly peeved :thumbsup:
Windows Vista SP1/AVG 8.5/Malwarebytes' anti-malware/Firefox3.0.2/IE7/office 2007/live messenger 2009

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

it finds plenty but wont remove them till u buy the full program,since it was advertised as freeware i was highly peeved :thumbsup:

And what it "Removes" it does so badly :flowers:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users