Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed For Xp Activation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Krulin

Krulin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

i reformatted my computer yesterday due to viruses and all went very well. installed all neccessary drivers and activated successfully. I've got a legit windows xp key and the installation disc (i had activated successfully on the same comp numerous times).

However when i restart my computer, theres a message asking me to re-activate again within 3 days, this time i couldn't and there was a message that say "According to records, the number of times you can activate Windows with this product key has been exceeded....." I even tried using the telephone but no luck.

I merely restart my computer and this happened, the key were never used for other computers although last time i upgrade my mobo but nothing wrong happened...help pls i only got 3 days left. I tried calling Microsoft but then the staff only asked me to email to them my proof of purchase, COA, and the disc....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

The proper, authorized procedure...is to do a telephonic activation. I've exceeded the number of activations on a given license key, due to clean reinstalls of the O/S while I experimented.

The problem I find with your story...is the fact that I have changed motherboards, video cards, hard drives, etc...and used phone activation each time with no grief from anyone.

I've even mistakenly provided the wrong key (I have several in my name) on the wrong system, but that was quickly sorted out over the phone.

If authorized personnel gave you a procedure to follow...and you chose not to follow it...you have that right.

If you attempt activation online, the necessary phone number will be supplied.

Louis

#3 Krulin

Krulin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:57 AM

i solved the problem by doing a system restore all the way back to when i just reformatted... seems like i installed something then cause a change in my hardware thats why i need to reactivate and couldnt. thanks anyway :thumbsup: cheers

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users