Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questioning Newcomer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 eleanor729

eleanor729

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:42 AM

Hello.. I enjoy this site.BC is incredible with its wealth of information and its outlined so clearly,i was very interested to learn more. :thumbsup: BUT.. Since it is very full of information I am now overwhelmed.

I just signed on to find info of how to fix a problem on my DT but now find that its scans and cleaning took HOURS. Now i am worried i only included more stuff to clean up later.?

I used Adware and Spybot as suggested from BC. Now i am worried about my LT. How does one get over the concerns over what is good and what isnt for problem solving?

Do i really need a PhD in securing my computer? Do i only create more problems when trying to solve others? I am asking for some assurance that i am on the right track.

Thank you for your help
E

PS.. I had tried to create an account before this one, and messed up on the email address which i think i entered incorrectly. Anyway, it created an account but i cant get the pw? it was for eleanor55. can i reset my current signon to that account or what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:14 AM

Welcome to BC!

First, you are indeed on the right track. The applications recommended here at BC are used by Members, not harmful to your computer, and mechanize the difficult task of keeping it malware-free. AdAware and Spybot are, for example, well-known and peer-respected; if updated and used on a regular basis, they will find spyware and quarantine it so it does no harm.

Second, you should decide on which account you want to keep (we allow only one account per Member). You can send a PM to GRINLER to delete one of these accounts. Should you need password help for the one you are going to keep, let GRINLER know in the same PM.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

Hello eleanor729/eleanor55 and welcome to BC
Regards,

Alan.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:54 AM

@Jgweed

Not literally 20 questions,

A British phrase I guess.. :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Questions
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:22 PM

Second, you should decide on which account you want to keep (we allow only one account per Member). You can send a PM to GRINLER to delete one of these accounts. Should you need password help for the one you are going to keep, let GRINLER know in the same PM.

Or if you wish, you may contact me via PM. To resolve your dual account issue. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 eleanor729

eleanor729
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for info.. I think I will truly enjoy my experience here.. if it werent for why i joined in the first place... argggggg...

Oh, i will look around for this answer but in case anyone is listening... i logged on to my dt thru one account.. did all the necessary Adware and Spybot. It was an administrator so i ASSumed that it wuld take car4e of all accounts. BUTT.. i still have one that is hanging on. I think its the LANMANDRV.SYS. I will check around for answers. I had looked at the tutorial for it and thought i did everything... well, back to the drawing bored .. or mouse pad.

Just circling, waiting for a place to land
E

#7 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

Hi eleanor729 why don't you try posting your problem in the am I infected forum Here I hope this helps you. :thumbsup:

#8 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:55 PM

Hi there eleanor729,

As far as that LANMANDRV.SYS file - according an article in the startup list on Bleeping Computer, you should post a HijackThis log to begin the removal procedure (if you haven't already).

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users