Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected Files in Windows/System

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 glutton

glutton

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:02 PM

I did a scan today of my system with AVG Free Edition software, and it found 4 infections...

Trojan Horse Collected.5.L ---> (c:\windows\system\MSDIRECTX.SYS)

Trojan Horse Downloader.Agent.6.BN ---> (C:\windows\system\MTC.DLL)

Virus Identified Java/ByteVerify ---> (C:\windows\.jpi_cache\jar\1.0\archive.jar-6b25488e-3f260605.zip)

Virus Identified Java/ByteVerify ---> (C:\windows\.jpi_cache\jar\1.0\archive.jar-69f9bf13-22545fba.zip)

Now the 'SOURCE' (under file details) for the first two Trojan Horses is "BACKUP COPY"
and the 'SOURCE' for the other 2 viruses reads "MOVED OBJECT"

In all 4 cases, the files are not healable (perhaps this is because it's the free version).
What should I do with these items?
Wipe them? Leave them??

thanks,
scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 putasolutions

putasolutions

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:53 PM

Delete them, and if you are using ME, I would suggest that you clear the System Restore points and create a new one

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:57 PM

You probably won't be able to delete the Java Byte Verify ones. For those, go into your Java console in the control panel and clear out the cache.

Er . . . that's for Sun Java. With MS Virtual Machine, you delete your temporary internet files.

And it's a good idea to go to Windows Update and see if you can get a more recent edition of Virtual Machine.

Edited by Herk, 20 April 2005 - 11:23 PM.

#4 putasolutions

putasolutions

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:39 AM

Micro$oft don't offer an alternative to the Sun Java now after their legal battles. though it would be worth installing the latest Java Runtime Environment from SunJava

Edited by putasolutions, 21 April 2005 - 03:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users