Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Partially Shutsdown

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rjevans33

rjevans33

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:58 AM

Hi all,

I ran a Socket478 ECS mobo, P4 proc, IDE drives, AGP8X video, XP SP2 for ~4 years. After about 1 year of expected behavior the system started behaving oddly. After going through the normal XP shutdown routine the screen goes blank and shuts off. However, the HDD does not stop but justs spins down to a lower speed and the HDD head starts ratcheting back and forth, at least that is what it sounds like it is doing. The HDD light flickers constantly at about a 10Hz rate. Also, the CPU and system fans do not stop, but just slow down. The only way the system will stop completely is if I turn the PSU off completely using the main PSU switch. Once the main PSU switch is flipped on again, the HDD light, HDD, and internal + CPU fans all turn on again, like they were previously. When the front panel power button is pressed the PC boots normally.

I checked the BIOS and disabled all the "Wake on ..." stuff I could find. This had no effect. I ran a bunch of virus scans, adware, spyware, etc, and found nothing.

I put up with this for about 3 years until the ECS mobo failed to see IDE0 (boot drive) a few times. I figured the mobo was about dead so I bought a new Biostar P4M80-M4 mobo and installed it a few days ago with all my old hardware. The system came up fine but still has the power-down problem. I ensured the new BIOS has all the "Wake on ..." stuff disabled. I also removed the video cable, LAN cable, etc, when the system is supposed to be powered down. This did not help.

Can someone tell me where to find the ghost in my machine?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:22 AM

Hi rjevans33, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

If you go into the Power Options and look under Schemes, is it set as Alway On? If it is change it to Home/Office Desk.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rjevans33

rjevans33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:14 PM

Hi rjevans33, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

If you go into the Power Options and look under Schemes, is it set as Alway On? If it is change it to Home/Office Desk.

Thanks dc3 for the reply.

It was/is set to Home/Office Desk. Monitor turn off in 20 min. HDD turn off = never. System standby = never.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users