Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Main Drive Not Booting After Second Drive Xp Install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cathryn33

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:58 AM

I started off asking about this situation in the Operating Systems forums but feel like the problem has evolved and is more of a hard drive issue now. I hope its okay if I post here as well.

I added a second internal HD to my HP m8190a system. The HD is a Samsung SATA 1000GB drive.

All was well after the install, Vista found the drive and I formatted it to letter B (Was that a bad thing to do - ie is B a reserved letter? I figured I was never going to have a floppy drive again so preferred to use that than the N that Vista recommended).

Anyway, the next step in my big plan was to install XP on the new drive, so I could compare running speeds on both OS. Ran the XP CD from bootup and installed to the new drive. However, the XP CD gave the new drive the letter D, I didn't know how to change it and figured it wouldn't be a problem.

The thing is the main hard drive had two partitions, C and a Recovery partition assigned D in Vista.

After realising my system was not going to be easy to set up on XP (can't seem to get the drivers for OEM motherboard included in this pre-built HP system, XP doesn't seem recognise most of the hardware, even with drivers), I decided to boot back into Vista.

Selected the C drive from the boot menu, and XP loads. Thought it was odd, so played around with different selections from the boot menu and also just leaving it to boot whatever came up. XP loaded every time.

Went into CMOS and disabled every drive except the C drive. Still booted up XP.

Physically unplugged the D drive. Disk error.

At this stage I'm feeling very confused. I *think* the problem must be something to do with the fact that XP installed on a D drive, when the original disk had a D partition. I am guessing that the way the HP drive boots is by referring to some data on the D partition, which it has lost sight of and sees XP instead.

The other thing is that in the Disk Managment utility in XP, C is coming up as a "system" drive but not a "boot" drive. Not sure if that matters, since it shouldn't be XP that's controlling the situation but rather the BIOS at the start.

All my data is intact, the Recovery partition is also intact but has been re-assigned to letter K in XP.

I have contacted HP and am getting recovery disks which will restore my system to day dot. I have all my data backed up on an external so won't lose anything, but would really prefer to be able to boot back into the way I had things set up before. Reinstalling everything is a pain. Plus the disks won't be here for at least one more day, so not an option just yet.

Its just that everything is still there, its so close, I just can't get it to boot!

Any and all help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Edited by Cathryn33, 19 August 2008 - 01:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:42 PM

Putting it on B:\ was probably a bad move. I'm confused tho. Before you put xp on there C:\ was primary and D:\ was vista recovery partition correct? Later you say that xp installed onto D:\? Is the new drive one big partition or did you split it up?
I'm not sure what you're using, or if its even possible. But i do know that GRUB 1.5 is in charge of my xp/ubuntu dual and does a good job at it. If and when you decide to dual vista/xp again i would let it pick what letter it assigns to the partitions. But to be honest if i were you i'd just pick one or the other.

#3 Cathryn33

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:20 PM

XP installed onto a new physical drive with a single partition, but called that drive D.

So I had in Vista:

Disk0: HP C: | Recovery D:
Disk1: B:

And I now have in XP:

Disk0: HP C: | Recovery K:
Disk1: D:

Well actually I now have nothing as I tried changing the drive letters in the registry and that (predictably) stopped the XP drive from booting up, but did not fix the problem of the Vista drive not booting.

Hoping the recovery disks from HP come today!

Thanks for your advice, I think I'm going to leave dual booting to the techs and try to get used to Vista.

#4 hamluis

• 55,008 posts
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

FWIW: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=d...ot+XP+and+Vista

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users