Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too Many Spyware Removal Programs/good Antivirus Product?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BusyBeeGirl2008

BusyBeeGirl2008

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:51 AM

Hi There!
My name is Natalie and I have just a few questions about security. I currently have Ad-Aware, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, and SuperSpyware on my PC. Is it bad to have that many Spyware Removal programs on my Pc? I also have an out of date version of McAfee (That came with my PC) which I cannot seem to uninstall. Should I just choose one?

Also, I am wondering, what would be the best Antivirus product?

Thank you so much!! BleepingComputer is from heaven!! :thumbsup:

Natalie
BusyBeeGirl2008

Edited by BusyBeeGirl2008, 19 August 2008 - 12:53 AM.

Natalie

"I sometimes fall into the trap of doing what I think I should be doing rather than what I want to be doing." Bjork

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:22 AM

Hello Natalie,

It is wise to have a good selection of anti malware products, but the more you have the slower the system will be. I would describe it as a balancing act between protection and performance.

If you want to get rid of mcafee this tool should do the job for you http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx...083&lc=1033

For an unbiased look at how AV products perform, http://www.av-comparatives.org/ is a great site. The comparatives will show how these programs stack up against each other.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 drex23

drex23

Bleeping Existence

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:06 AM

It is wise to have a good selection of anti malware products, but the more you have the slower the system will be.

That isn't a complete statement. Your system is really only going to be slowed down if you're running the real-time protection of the programs. (Particularly using more than one which isn't really recommended.) From taking a look at your topic in malware removal, I can see you mean SuperAntiSpyware, not SuperSpyware (which would be bad). Anyway, all three of the programs you listed require either using a time-limited trial or else payment for the full version to obtain real-time protection. So, unless you paid for one of them or are using the trial, you won't have real-time protection from them. Also, Ad-Aware is probably not necessary since you have Malwarebytes' Antimalware along with SuperAntiSpyware.

I would echo kahdah's suggestions and reinforce the idea of installing something like SpywareBlaster if you haven't done so already. As for the anti-virus, remember this is protecting you from and detecting things that the other programs won't. So, while getting rid of McAfee especially since it is outdated is a wise choice, you will definitely want to replace it with something else. We do have a list of Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps that will give you a selection of programs to choose from, should you decide to go the freeware route.

If you want to go with a paid product, NOD32 (Eset), Avira, and Kaspersky are typical recommendations. Usually, paid products will have free trials and it's a good idea to use them so you can see what you like and works well with your system. Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:08 AM

I currently have Ad-Aware, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, and SuperSpyware on my PC

These are all find unless you are using pro versions of each product which provide real time protection. In that case, it may cause some slowness as they compete for resources. Using them each as on-demand scanners eliminates that problem. IMO if your using MBAM and SAS, Ad-aware is unnecessary.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 BusyBeeGirl2008

BusyBeeGirl2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:42 PM

Hi Everyone!
Thank you for such awesome advice!! I currently have Malbytes antispyware and adaware on my pc, I removed the SuperAntiSpyware from my PC. I only have the regular free versions from these products so at the moment I am not getting any real time protection. Is SpywareBlaster is good quality product to purchase Real-Time protection from?

In trying to remove the McAfee program that came with my Pc, It's not allowing me to remove it by going to Add/Remove progams and Uninstalling. That is one of the first steps when following the directions from http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx...083&lc=1033. Why is it not allowing me to uninstall this? :flowers:

Thank you so much for everything!! :thumbsup:

BusyBeeGirl2008

Natalie

"I sometimes fall into the trap of doing what I think I should be doing rather than what I want to be doing." Bjork

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:48 PM

SpywareBlaster is a program that blocks spyware tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and any browsers that use the Internet Explorer engine, including: AOL web browser, Avant Browser, Slim Browser and Maxthon (formerly MyIE2). It also provides protection for Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, Seamonkey, and Flock. SpywareBlaster restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". SpywareBlaster does not run in the background. Instead it only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates using the built-in "Check for Updates" feature and then enable all protection again.

If uninstalling via Add/Remove Programs does not work properly, then download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool (MCPR.exe) which removes all removes all 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 versions of McAfee consumer products.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users