Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Problems Dont Have Windows Xp Start Up Bar

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AlfredoA

AlfredoA

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

My desktop was recently hijacked by some sort of malware. The problem now is that i followed the steps that where said on Majorgeeks.com

It said.

* Download and install CCleaner
o Now run Ccleaner with the default options (that means donít change anything) to clean out temporary files.
o Only use the default settings on the Windows Tab and select Run Cleaner. Do not run any other options from other tabs.
o Also it is highly recommended to login to all other User Accounts on the PC including the Administrator account (on Win2K,XP and Vista) which will only show when you boot in safe mode.
+ Run CCleaner on each account. This can greatly reduce scan time and log sizes from the later scanning you will do below.
+ If you donít see Ccleanerís link when logging into the other accounts, just goto the C:\Program Files\Ccleaner folder and double click on the ccleaner.exe file to run it. You can also create a shortcut to the file on the Desktop of your other user accounts to make it easier to run in the future.
o If you booted into safe mode to clean the Adminstrator account, be sure to reboot in normal mode before continue on with the below instructions.

Now after i had followed the steps to rid my windows xp computer of spyware, i came upon a step to restart it. To my dismay after restarting it i think that CCleaner had accidently deleted a core file that had my icons and my xp start bar. Right now i am opening programs through the task admin. I am now left with a malware infected, good, iconless, Start up barless computer.

I could really use some help, having no start up bar really sucks.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:42 AM

I have the same problem. I am urging anyone who has a pernament solution to say something now. This is a temporary solution - When you get to your sesktop with no icons and startbar, go to task manager, click on the applications tab, new task then type explorer and press enter.

Edited by master131, 19 August 2008 - 12:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users