Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Dvd-rw Becomes Cd Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eurydice

eurydice

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:05 PM

:thumbsup:
Hello,

I've never posted here before. It all started when I began worrying that my internal hard drive is failing. Interestingly, I'm not sure that's the worst of my problems at this point.

I put a TDK DVD+RW 1.4x/4.7GB RW (whatever all that means) into my external DVD RW drive (16x - whatever that means also). Prior to inserting the DVD into the drive, the drive (F:) is labeled as a DVD Drive. Once I put the DVD in, the labeling changes to CD Drive.

What I'm trying to do is back up my documents in case my hard drive is going on the blink. I've tried using NERO Backup as well as Windows XP Backup Utility. Neither one recognizes the drive. However, I can click on properties and my computer tells me the device is working properly. The power light is on. I have unplugged the USB and plugged it back in. When I right click and eject, the tray comes out.

I can't tell if I need a new computer, new DVDRW or new Disks. Lol... of course, I know where I'll start!

Please help,
E

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:33 AM

Hello eurydice and welcome to BC,

Did you install any drivers for the device? If you right click my computer=>properties=>hardware(tab)=>device manager.

Are there any question marks or exclamation marks?

The event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Double click on each error and or warning.
6. Locate the copy to clipboard button, Posted Image (under the two arrows)
7. Let us know what you find. (paste the results)
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

Manufacturer and model for the DVD drive?

Not all disks are for all drives.

You've only told us about the blank DVD disk you inserted...we need more info on the drive itself.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users