Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Miner Spyware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:57 AM

Greetings,

For the past month or so, every time that I run a Ad-Aware SE scan it shows that I am infected with Data Miner. So I go ahead and quarantine these and have them removed. Then in a couple of days or so, I run Ad-Aware again and have the same results... infected with Data Miner. This has happened at least 5 or 6 times over the past month I have Windows 2000, ZoneAlarm and AVG virus protection on my computer.

rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

Without additional details it's hard to say what these items are.

But from past knowledge, if my memory serves me correctly, Data Miners were what are usually referred to as tracking cookies. To be sure, you could check the report/log and copy/paste the relevant parts here.

If cookies are the problem you should look in your browser settings for options to disable third party cookies.

Also you can use Spyware Blaster to prevent known bad ones from getting in. In addition to cookies, it also prevents known bad ActiveX controls from starting and has a host of other good protections.

More info on how to use it here.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for the info. I already use Spyware Blaster, however I think I need to bone up on how to actually use it. I appreciate the Spyware Blaster link.

rlight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users