Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Wont Start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikerox

mikerox

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:10 AM

Anyone who saw my previous topic knows that I'm setting up a PC to eventually build. However, before I jump into the fire, I thought I would try and see how it's done by taking apart my aging eMachine... well, mostly I was just bored. Nonetheless, I took the PC apart (components only), analyzed the components' architecture, and the put everything back together (I double-checked). However, when I tried to turn it on, the CPU fan ran for about two seconds, and then it stopped. Nothing else even started. I tried pushing the button again, and this time the CPU fan didn't even respond. I've checked the power cables to the components, the fans, everything and they're all hooked up. I know that the outlet that I use is getting juice because I plugged my monitor in the same spot, and it powered up. All the cables are positioned the way they were before the dissection. What the heck could be wrong with this thing? Any assistance would be helpful.

(P.S.: Also, I sorta broke the arm of the CMOS battery holder when I tried to remove the CMOS battery. Obviously, trying to glue it back together would be ill-advised. Will I have to get a motherboard replacement as well?)

Edited by mikerox, 18 August 2008 - 10:12 AM.

A Christian and proud of it.

Those who use the Posted Image Button will suffer the wrath of Neapolitan!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:57 AM

(P.S.: Also, I sorta broke the arm of the CMOS battery holder when I tried to remove the CMOS battery. Obviously, trying to glue it back together would be ill-advised. Will I have to get a motherboard replacement as well?)

Bingo! If the battery circuit is completely dead, You have no BIOS. No BIOS, no computer. Did the arm snap all the way off?
You MIGHT be able to wedge a small gauge of single-strand bare copper wire or some aluminum foil in it to maintain contact and tape it all together.
If, by chance, you do get lucky don't forget to reset the date and time in the BIOS
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mikerox

mikerox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:31 PM

Bingo! If the battery circuit is completely dead, You have no BIOS. No BIOS, no computer. Did the arm snap all the way off?
You MIGHT be able to wedge a small gauge of single-strand bare copper wire or some aluminum foil in it to maintain contact and tape it all together.
If, by chance, you do get lucky don't forget to reset the date and time in the BIOS

To avoid messing up my motherboard worse than I already have, I may just get an replacement mobo. Also, should've mentioned this earlier, I removed the CMOS about two weeks after the initial incident. Also, just for future reference, if I were to get a replacement CMOS battery, where would I get one?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:13 PM

Also, just for future reference, if I were to get a replacement CMOS battery, where would I get one?

All the drug stores around here have them. They're by the watch and hearing aid batteries
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 mikerox

mikerox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

Also, just for future reference, if I were to get a replacement CMOS battery, where would I get one?

All the drug stores around here have them. They're by the watch and hearing aid batteries

Cool. So I can just stop by Walgreens next time I have my prescriptions refilled. Well, is there any other potential reasons it may not be starting up (ignoring the CMOS scenario)?

Edited by mikerox, 18 August 2008 - 08:57 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:32 AM

Did you remove the heat sink from the CPU when you disassembled the computer? If so, and you didn't add new thermal compound when you put it back together the CPU could be overheating. Fix the battery first, Mark is correct, not battery, no computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:36 AM

If your battery holder is like mine, you can roll up a tiny piece of foil and with the battery in place, push it in the square recess with a toothpick. The foil should contact the broken piece of the clip. Then just tape it to the battery. Not pretty by ant means, but it will work
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users