Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Has China Really Came Of Age?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:47 AM

I know some will think this contrversial, but effort needs to be recognised?

Few Incidents have happened, certainly no major ones.

The Opening Ceromany is best described as Awesome!

China is enjoying the Attention and has given it's all to try to respond to it.

At this time they have 35 Gold Medals, against USA 19, Australia 11.

I say good on them for trying.

What are your thoughts?

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

Let's see.......

A journalist arrested because they were filming/photographing a protest........
Protestors being arrested for applying for permits, even though they were following state orders that would allow them to protest, as long as they had a permit, and it was in a designated area.......
Athletes having their visa revoked because of involvement with Team Darfur.......
Internet access to some sites blocked, although it was promised that journalists would have open access.....
Installation of monitoring equipment in hotels........

The Opening Ceromany is best described as Awesome!

Which part did you like the best... the one where the little girl lip-synced, or the computer generated fireworks? Actually, I think the opening ceremony is a wonderful metaphor for everything else; it's all just smoke and mirrors. :thumbsup:

#3 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

Well, groovicus has already said pratically everything. As for anything good so far which wasn't fake, I will repeat a quote I made on Thoughtvent.

They run as if the very whips of their masters were behind them.

Legolas, Lord of the Rings

I may also include the Chinese athletes in this.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:21 PM

Yes, China's human rights record isn't to be brushed under the carpet because they are hosting the Olympics.

For shame, abacus.

Unless you were just inviting debate - in which case bravo! :thumbsup:

Edit: btw, GB are above Australia's 11 with 12

Edited by m0le, 18 August 2008 - 06:23 PM.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

Haha, yeah, lookit the pretty pretty opening ceremonies. We hope this distracts you from the fact that we support mass genocide both financially and in terms of policy.

China's government is despicable in many, many different ways, and that they were chosen to host the games is an absolute travesty.
Posted Image

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

it's all just smoke and mirrors.

Um, I had trouble seeing the mirrors with all the smoke and smog.

But they probably were there.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:09 PM

Not that I suppose most of the athletes had any choice in the matter, but most started their training at a horribly young age and the pressure put on them to success and 'do their Country' proud must be horrendous.

At the risk of sounding like a 'softy', I personally give them credit for the hard, hard work and ability to win so many medals. (Figure each of them didn't ask to be born in China - and are simply making the best they can of their lives).

Politics is entirely another matter - nothing on earth could convince me that China is a Country I'd want to live in! In fact, yes, I agree "China is coming of age" and we'd perhaps better what our backsides in the future. Scary thought. (The individual Chinese person doesn't scare me - rather, it's the government and the mass of citizens as a group quickly running out of land, etc).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#8 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:01 AM

Unless you were just inviting debate

Well, not much debate so far, mainly one sided.

At the risk of sounding like a 'softy', I personally give them credit for the hard, hard work and ability to win so many medals.

Anyone who wins honestly deserves credit.

The individual Chinese person doesn't scare me - rather, it's the government and the mass of citizens as a group quickly running out of land.

I don't think the Chinese will start invading all its neighbours if they run out of land. I think they may do something which is just as bad.

#9 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:43 AM

I have to say this, cough 14 Gold Medals cough 3rd in Medals Table ahead of Australia and Germany :flowers: :thumbsup:.

But to the real point of the thread There was someone killed over there as well, It was a Coach here is the story - http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/0...rder/index.html

As well as the Distraction the other week with Russia pummeling Georgian Towns - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7550804.stm

So it wasn't all good, but the part about China Running out of Land, I'm not quite sure what they would do really if they tried taking anything they would just get Nuclear Bombs and Ballistic Missiles fired at them. Britain alone has a Nuclear Sub which can fire Missles about 15,000-16,000km only 2 European Countries have Nuclear Capability in terms on Missles and Bombs, France and Britain also Russia if you can count them as Europe which I don't.

Well that's my opinion anyway.

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:27 AM

Once can hope that the Olympics signals a change for the better in China's foreign relations, and even more so in its political policy. It is indicative of how individuals are thought of (not only by the Nuremberg rally type opening ceremony of masses of humanity performing with the precision of automatons) by the extremes the government had to go to clean the air in the capital, and the time the government spent in teaching its citizens how to stand in line for the subway.
Not to mention that out in the countryside and away from international reporters, farmers are rioting because of their poverty and horrible living conditions.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

Yes hopefully China will change it's ways because of the Olympics, they have shown they can hold a World Event and proved they can sort out a Problem that other Countries dislike in terms of The Air Quality you mentioned.

This has proved to the World they can do something Great and would be good if they did improve relations but I think it would be a bit till that happens.

Edited by woodyblade, 19 August 2008 - 11:23 AM.

#12 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:53 AM

Hahaha, no. China are not even close to attempting reforms of their vast government corruptions and abuses.
China committed further human rights violations in preparation for the Olympics.
http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/china/beijing08/evictions.htm

Forced evictions
“In the middle of the night, while they were sleeping, people came in and broke up the courtyard wall. There were lots of people living there together in this building, they had a shop, it was really dangerous, there were still people living there.”
—“Zhang,” friend of a forcibly evicted Beijing family

China’s rapid urban development, fueled in Beijing by preparations for the 2008 Olympics, is leading to the eviction of homeowners and tenants in violation of Chinese law and international standards on the right to housing. In many cities, Chinese local authorities and developers are forcibly evicting hundreds of thousands of homeowners and tenants who have little legal recourse. Evicted residents left with few avenues of redress have increasingly taken to the streets to protest, where they have met police repression.

Developers often work with local government officials to request and implement forced evictions. Widespread corruption can lead Communist Party officials to favor the interests of developers over those of residents. Courts often refuse to hear eviction cases because of pressure by local officials. As a result, people who challenge their eviction cannot properly pursue their claims through arbitration or in court. Where residents do receive compensation, it is often inadequate. Human Rights Watch said that national legal reforms have had minimal impact in reversing this situation.

It honestly would not surprise me that it would require (another) revolution to turn China around.
Posted Image

#13 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:41 PM

Sorry to all, I had a few Problems with Kids?

They are fine now, I just have to handle the new Pup?

After Three days, Pup is sleeping alongside Pixie. (Big Momma) She is my Dog?
Pixie is 8 year old? That is almost 56? in Human terms?

It makes my Heart so Glad to see Pups and Big Mommas sleep together.

What a wonderful thing?

As for the Chinese? They are showing some thing that needs to be recocnized?

Funny enough, first time since 1988 The GB, (Poms) are actually beating the Aussies.

That realy makes this a Special thing to me.

I do not have a bad bone in my Body toward anyone!

Can I Say this?

It has been a Fair Debate, admitted one sided, but a fair Debate!

Edited by Abacus 7, 20 August 2008 - 12:51 PM.

#14 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:00 PM

It honestly would not surprise me that it would require (another) revolution to turn China around.

Why do you think it has not already happened?

China has so many US Dollars to spend now?

They Love it.

Chinese people as you know are just nice people, not Terrorists, never have been, never will be!
They blend into our Cultures in a very Nice way.

Edited by Abacus 7, 20 August 2008 - 01:35 PM.

#15 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

Yes the Chinese are nice people it is just their Government or Leaders really that have a problem, Also I like theirs and Japan's Culture as well. The Buildings, Martial Arts and Sports really interest me. Mainly the Buildings and Martial Arts.

Also I've always wondered why you Aussies always call us Poms?

Edited by woodyblade, 21 August 2008 - 12:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users