Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please tell me

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:10 AM

Hello guys,

just want your advise on this: I have seen and heard of PC users that have taken the side panel off their and run it with the side panel off. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Please reply soon.
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 putasolutions

putasolutions

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:16 AM

If you aren't in a particularly dusty environment, then it won't do too much harm on a short term basis, usually a case of when you are swapping components on a regular basis. If the reason is to aid cooling then no, far better to install more or better cooling.

Dust is one of the pcs biggest enemy, and by leaving the side off you are increasing the area in which dust can get in

Edited by putasolutions, 20 April 2005 - 08:16 AM.

#3 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:59 AM

Dear Wizkid,

I agree. If you are a PC builder and use the computer to test components then I would keep the case open but close at end of use.

If you are using fan cooling I advise not to keep open side panel.

Dust is an important factor but fan cooling requires air flow.

In from the front, out the rear; constant air flow to carry out heat.

Having the side panel open does not move the air flow through your computer.

Now if you are playing Half Life II and overclocking, your computer will get hot.

Without having extreme air flow and I mean extreme, your game will stop (maybe your computer too). A lot of gamers who don't have huge setup's will remove the side panel and put a box fan next to the computer.

This approach is called forced air and it works. You are forcing air across the computer which removes heat. The downside of this is: noisy, could add extra dust, and just plain ugly!

As a beginner gamer, I have tried to create a natural fan/heat-sink cooling procedure to keep my computer cooled at all times.

12 fans later, I think I have done it.

Hope this helps.

Cool Master :thumbsup: ,

Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users