Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Stalls On Inactivity Or While Working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rambo

Rambo

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

Hi,

I've got an issue that's been bugging me for weeks. :thumbsup: I believe this issue started after a major spyware infection, however my system was cleaned as per guidance from the HJT forum. Very often after leaving my system for a while when I come back to it, it has completely frozen and doesn't respond to anything. I am able to turn CAPS on and off, however end up having to hold the power button for several seconds to shut down the system and do a cold boot. I have also encountered similar freezing/stalling on occasion, while busy working.

My system is a Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop: AMD Athlon 64 x2/1.7GHz with 1GB RAM and 120GB Hard Drive.

I hope someone can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:19 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freezes.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time of the freeze right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users