Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 0x00000024

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 redsox25

redsox25

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:52 PM

My laptop randomly crash every now in then.Today it crashed again and when it restarted it would not allow me to get to the log in screen. (Note i had just installed Microsoft Flight Simmulator X) It would get to the screen were it asked me if i wanted to start vista normal, safe mode, etc. When i clicked normaly it would try to go but once it tryed to get to the log in screen the screen turned blue with white boxes and restarted itself. Then if i did the same thing in safe mode it would try to do the same thing and then it would give me the blue screen of death with the error: 0x00000024x(0x001904AB,0x8E06118C,0X8E116E88,0x000000).Anyone know how to help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:22 AM

Hi redsox25,

Can you tell me if you have an onboard video card? Or are you using an add in card?

Also, have you installed any joystick software? Anything that acts like or controls your mouse maybe?

Can you tell us if you've installed any updates for the game?

#3 redsox25

redsox25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:56 AM

Lets see..
Im using the video card that came with the laptop
I did plug in a joy stick via USB. Its old and i had never used it with this laptop. It didnt have any drivers but worked as is.
I did use an external mouse but thats not new
I didnt not instal any udates.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:43 PM

The STOP 0x24 error relates to the NTFS file system on your hard drive. The most likely fix would be to run chkdsk /r from the command prompt. To do this go to Start and type "cmd" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

In the black window that opens up, type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes and with a space between the chkdsk and the /r) and press Enter. It'll tell you it can't run right now, and will ask if you want to schedule it for the next reboot. Press "Y" (for Yes) and then press Enter. Reboot the system and let chkdsk /r run. When it's done it'll boot into Windows (it may take a while).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 redsox25

redsox25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hey thanks for the info. I did just bite the bullet and reinstalled Vista. I had only had this HD for a month and their wasn't much on it. It still has the same problem though. Today it has crashed twice in the same way. I tried to do the command prompt thing and it game me this:
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:33 PM

To fix this:

Go to Start and type "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) - DO NOT PRESS ENTER
At the top of the search box will be a listing for Programs with cmd.exe located under it.
Right click on that cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"
You'll get a prompt requesting permission to elevate - consent to it.

In the black window that opens up, type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes and with a space between the chkdsk and the /r) and press Enter. It'll tell you it can't run right now, and will ask if you want to schedule it for the next reboot. Press "Y" (for Yes) and then press Enter. Reboot the system and let chkdsk /r run. When it's done it'll boot into Windows (it may take a while).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 redsox25

redsox25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:45 PM

Hey thanks.
It currently doing its thing. I am a little worried because its been stuck on one part (62%) for like 20 minutes. :huh:

#8 redsox25

redsox25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:06 PM

Still stuck :huh:

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:32 PM

Still stuck now? If it doesn't finish, I'd have to suggest a diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive.

The file system (NTFS) is sorta like a layer between the hard drive and Windows - it gives the instructions on how things are stored on the hard drive in a manner which Windows can use. So (basically) the problem can be with the hard drive, with the file system, or with Windows.

The diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturer will rule out the hard drive as the source of the errors.
The chkdsk /r will rule out the file system as the source of the errors.
If both of those pass, then it's gotta be a Windows problem.

Chkdsk /r freezing for an extended period usually isn't a good sign (although there's many things that can affect it). If it doesn't complete, then (IME) it's most likely a problem with the hard drive (and the diagnostic will confirm/deny this supposition).

Edited by usasma, 18 August 2008 - 05:37 PM.

#10 redsox25

redsox25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:32 PM

Few its down now. for what ever reason it was stuck on the 4 of 5 section. Is there a way to post the results here?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

Open up Event Viewer (Go to Start - Run - and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter)
Click on the Application log in the left hand pane, and search the right hand pane for a source that says WinLogon and is around the time that you ran chkdsk /r.

Double clicking on that entry will open it so you can highlight the text of the report and copy/paste it here.

Off Topic: BOS 2, BAL 0 bottom of the 4th! woot! :huh:

#12 redsox25

redsox25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:23 PM

Hey,
I am having a little trouble finding this. Do you see it here? I started the scan around 5:30
Posted Image

Ya im watching the game now. I assume you are a sox fan given you are from CT. 2-1 now

Edited by redsox25, 18 August 2008 - 07:24 PM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

Oops! In XP it's under the WinLogon Source item - but in Vista it has it's own source labeled Chkdsk.
You can click on the Source column header to sort it alphabetically - that'll make it easier to find.
Here's a picture of mine: Posted Image

PS - I've been a RedSox fan since I moved to the Northeast in 2003

#14 redsox25

redsox25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

Hmm Im still not seeing it. Could it have a different name?
Posted Image

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:57 AM

Try locating Wininit in the Source column. That's where I found it on mine after I ran it at the reboot. It seems that Vista will put chkdsk in it's own source if run within Windows, but if it runs on reboot then it'll be under the Wininit Source.

Arrrrggghhhh!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users