Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Partition Got Reassigned A Different Volume Letter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cathryn33

Cathryn33

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:22 PM

Hello.

I started this post in the XP forum as I was trying to downgrade to XP on a second HD with the intention of making that the main or at least having a dual boot system. Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that my system doesn't like XP so am just trying to restore Vista on the original drive.

-------------------------------

I have a HP m8190a system with a HP w2207 monitor.

For a number of reasons, I decided to install a second HD and 2GB more RAM, with the intention of installing XP on the new drive. Which I have done, but it seems like I can't get XP to recognise any of my hardware - its all coming up generic. Drivers don't seem to help.

In the XP install the drive was assigned letter D, which was also the letter for the Recovery partition on the HP Vista drive. Which, I assume, must be why when I select the HP Vista drive on the boot menu it loads XP instead of Vista. Guessing the boot info was in that section? Or could there be another reason for this?

So I called HP and they are sending me the recovery disks, which should be here in 3-5 days. What I am wondering is whether this will re-format my system, as if I was reinstalling Vista? Or will it just act in place of the Recovery partition, allowing me to boot to my original drive (which is still entirely intact, just not bootable)?

Also, being that I am impatiently wanting my computer back, what would happen if I used the registry to change the drive letters? So change D (XP boot drive) to N (or something) and K (Recovery Partition on Vista HP C drive) to D.

I found a help file that tells you how to do it (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188), however I'm not sure whether this will just make the one bootable drive I have unbootable, or whether it will make the original hd bootable. I don't mind if I lose the current drive (which is just a fresh install of XP) as long as I get the old drive back on bootup.

What I have is:

Disk0: HP C (system) | K Recovery
Disk1: D (boot)

and what I want is:

Disk0: HP C (boot) | D Recovery
Disk1: N

-----------------

Any ideas, suggestions, answers or fresh perspectives would be welcome. Thanks in advance :huh:

Edited by Cathryn33, 17 August 2008 - 09:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:20 AM

The recovery disks will wipe everything out and restore your system to the state it was in the day that it left the factory.
The article doesn't include Vista in the list of supported OS's - but I can't see any harm in trying it anyway (but only scanned it quickly).
I'd suggest getting the hard drive out and slaving it to another machine to save your data before doing anything else - that way, should thinks get messed up, you won't have lost your data.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users