Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Goes Blank On User Log-in Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Soheil Roshan

Soheil Roshan

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

Hey guys, Ive posted here a long time ago about virus problems, and I am back to ask a question about computers.

I had purchased an alienware computer in 2005 and not only has it been constantly giving me problems but I have had to install the OS several times.

Now, just today I was playing Garrys Mod, making a cool spaceship....Yea its really cool, haha, anyways, right in the middle my computer just shut off, then turned on by itself. Everything was fine, until it got to the user log in screen and it was just black, no mouse, nothing. It was still functional because when I used the arrow keys to log in it worked fine, but all my icons were invisible the start menu was invisible and only the desktop background was visible. I restarted the computer several times and it didnt work. Can anyone help me out? I dont want to get rid of all my programs.

Thanks,
Soheil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Soheil Roshan

Soheil Roshan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:57 PM

Also I have tried system recovery and it requires me to put in a floppy disk, but none came with the computer.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:40 AM

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Soheil Roshan

Soheil Roshan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:52 AM

Ill try to get into safemode right now.

#5 Soheil Roshan

Soheil Roshan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:00 AM

Alright I just did a system restore in safe mode and it does the same thing.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:05 AM

In Safe Mode, right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users