Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-malware Programs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 flashystunnaboy

flashystunnaboy

• Banned
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:17 PM

i currently use SUPERantispyware, avira, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware,XoftSpySE, and hijackthis, i was wondering why so many people love spybot search and destroy, i personally don't like it also why do so many people hate XoftSpySE i found it to be good

Edited by flashystunnaboy, 18 August 2008 - 02:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 don77

don77

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 3,212 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:35 PM

I made a slight edit to your topic here there is no reason to use that type of language.

while I agree spybot today doesn't do quite the job SAS or MBAM do but in its day it was a very good program and while not as effective in my opinion as well as SAS and MBAM it still serves a purpose.

hijackthis is an analyzing tool and should not be used with out supervision of someone properly trained with using it.

I would appreciate you minding you language in your future posts.
Thanks
Don

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

When it comes to anti-malware preferences, de gustibus non est disputandum.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

The best antimalware/antivirus practice is either to run w/ UAC enabled in Vista, or run as a limited user in XP (basically does the same thing).
Although admittedly setting up a functional limited account in XP takes a bit more work to set up.
Posted Image

#5 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:16 PM

I think the best antimalware practise is, once your new computer arrives at your house, never take it out of the box. :thumbsup:

It is a matter of personal taste, as jgweed has pointed out.

Personally, I never got on very well with Spybot S&D.

Edited by KingOfIdiocy, 17 August 2008 - 11:18 PM.

#6 flashystunnaboy

flashystunnaboy
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

Ok i will watch my language. But yes i know hijackthis is supposed to be used under supervision but i can analyze it, also i had a problem on my computer, where everytime i went to one of my folders a message kept coming up saying i have spywares on my computer, and the pop up some how knew my name, anyway i ran hijjackthis and erased the registry key that i thought was the malware and rebooted and the problem was fixed.

#7 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:31 PM

i currently use SUPERantispyware, avira, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware,XoftSpySE, and hijackthis, i was wondering why so many people love spybot search and destroy, i personally don't like it think it sucks, also why do so many people hate XoftSpySE i found it to be good

Perhaps it is because of the track record of the company?

See this thread. (yes I realize it's old, but companies who were once scams, I think don't deserve to be trusted and obviously I'm not the only one with that point of view)...
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=1154

Personally, I always liked Spybot, and I'll tell you why. Back then, it was the only reliable program, that was consistent. Spybot had a lot of things going for it. It had a very good support forum, a good track record of efficiency and some nifty tools to prevent. And most of all, the programmer actually responded to bug reports. Now, times have changed and it, like all the others, is having problems keeping up with the onslaught of new malware. No one program will catch all.

But to go back to Paretologic, I personally cannot in good conscience trust that company. It made its name off of others's work and was at the fore front of the domain name scamming. Using domains that looked like they were Spybot's to trick users into downloading their software. And not to mention the nasty google adsense keyword crap. I could go on and on about the reasons why Paretologic is not welcome on my computer, but the history of the company tells the story for me.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 flashystunnaboy

flashystunnaboy
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:37 PM

OMG never new any of that, im getting rid of it then, what else would you recommend me using, i use to have spyware terminator but got rid of it, spybot is out of the question, i was thinking of using a squared, and i didnt really like adaware, i might jusst get pest patrol

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:51 PM

I like SpywareBlaster.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 flashystunnaboy

flashystunnaboy
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

Yea its pretty good but i like programs that scan lol, but i think one of the best scanners are malware anti bytes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users