Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Userinit.exe Problem.....likely A Virus

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 pman

pman

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

I know just enough about computers to be dangerous, which is why I'm seeking some assistance with this problem. It is my mothers computer in question. It is a dell with XP home edition. With all the information I have read online about this problem, it is no doubt a virus. It appears she chose to not renew her antivirus subscription and was without for some time. So I bought and installed Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 about 1 month ago after she was getting a repeating pop up box from windows defender wanting to install I beleive. I beleive the virus was probably already there at that point. Last week she started getting this userinit.exe problem.

Anyway, here is the problem....XP almost starts fine, but then a message pops up:
"userinit.exe- Application error"
"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005) Click on OK to terminate the application"
Then the desktop comes up without the taskbar or any icons. I hit ctrl+alt+del and the task manager does come up but I didn't want to do anything until I consulted the pros on this site. I tried bringing it up in safe mode, but same error and no desktop there either. Not really sure where to go from here. I see what some peoples fix was, but I'm aware that every situation is different. I would hate to use someone elses fix as it might not pertain to my system or problem. Please someone help me get this thing fixed. She doesn't know what to do with herself without her email and games. :thumbsup:

Edited by garmanma, 23 August 2008 - 09:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

Windows Defender is a legitimate application:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...er/default.mspx
As for "userinit.exe- Application error"
First, if you have System Restore turned on, try a restore point created before the problem started.
I seem to remember a discussion on this not to long ago and it turned out it was an infection. I'm moving you there

By the way, you removed the old anti-virus program, correct?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 pman

pman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

I believe the windows defender asked to install (not sure why) and she said yes to install. It installed but would not run until payment was made and it wouldn't let me uninstall it for some reason. I then uninstalled the norton antivisus that had expired and took a chance and installed the Trend Micro antivirus with the windows defender still installed. I know, probably not the smartest thing, but I didn't want her unprotected. So that's what I meant about the box keeps coming up. Not sure about a restore point yet. I can't even get onto the desktop in safe or normal mode. I read that I can open task manager, start new task and type in explorer.exe to get the desktop back. Then I can look for a restore point. Is this correct?

#4 Virus Killer

Virus Killer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

Hi! I think it's an infection too... My advice is that you'll run a scan of Spy-bot Search & Destroy.
It will check for registery changes that may be done while your mother's computer was unprotected.
Have a nice day!

#5 pman

pman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:47 PM

Can I run spybot with the antivirus software installed?

Edited by pman, 18 August 2008 - 10:48 PM.

#6 sharpe95

sharpe95

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:04 AM

Yes, Spybot is not an anti-virus, so it's safe to use along with Trend Micro AV.

Did you try starting explorer.exe with Task Manager?

#7 pman

pman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:55 AM

Yes, I called my mother last night and walked her through bringing up task manager and typing in explorer.exe and the desktop does come up. I told her to shut it back down and leave it alone until I can get over there and look at it. Todaay I will go over and download spybot and run it. I was also going to look for a restore point before all this happened. Should I run spybot before or after restoring? Also should I be in safe mode while performing these tasks?

#8 sharpe95

sharpe95

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:04 PM

First, if you have System Restore turned on, try a restore point created before the problem started.

Look for a restore point first, then run your antivirus and Spybot to see if any traces of the problem are still there. Normal mode should be fine, but I'm not sure if it'll make a difference whether in safe or normal mode.

Make sure to update Spybot and your antivirus before scanning your system.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

For the time being, when using Spybot, I would turn off Teatimer
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#10 pman

pman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:23 PM

I stand corrected. It was not Windows defender. It is something called "Vista Antivirus 2008" but doesn't seem like antivirus. I downloaded spybot, immunized and updated. About half way through the scan I get a box that says "It is recommended that you reboot and scan again. If you want to do this, click "Yes", save all open documents and reboot". I have been saying yes and rebooting the computer, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. If I say no, the box comes up again and again. Anybody have any ideas what I should do?

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:34 PM

It is something called "Vista Antivirus 2008"

If that's in the system, then you're infected
Mark
Posted Image

#12 pman

pman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

I figured so. Where should I start and how do I get rid of this thing? Like I said, I am running spybot as we speak and have said "no" to rebooting and the box to reboot hasn't come up for a while so I think it will scan all the way through now. I pray that someone out there has some good instructions for me!!

#13 pman

pman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:44 PM

Oh by the way, what's a teatimer? You mentioned turning it off and I missed that instruction before I scanned and I didn't turn it off.

#14 pman

pman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

Should Spybot scans take over an hour? Just wandering if that is normal. It says 288646 total items to check.

#15 pman

pman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:02 AM

After the Spybot scan it's telling me that there are items that could not be fixed. No matter how many times I scan, it will not fix these problems. There are 3: Virtumonde.dll, Myway.MywebSearch, and FunWebProducts. What should I do?

Edited by pman, 24 August 2008 - 02:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users