Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking Of Building A Laptop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nana1946

nana1946

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:52 PM

I am so sick of trying to find a computer that isn't loaded up with a bunch of software that I will never use! I am thinking of having one built..or getting my son-in-law to build one for me. He is quite capable. I want a wide screen, lightweight (as lightweight as possible since I have severe arthritis in my hands and wrists)with Windows XP Home (is this still possible?)(Ihate Vista...or what I have seen of it), the usual Microsoft basic stuff, virus protection, firewall, graphics ability and lots of memory and hard drive capacity as I use my laptop with embroidery software. Also want a fast processor (my husband is so impatient!) for my hubby when he is surfing, usb ports(4), media card slot, DVD R/W and of course wireless (what laptop isn't?)capability as I love to move all over the house while surfing and working on embroidery for my computerized sewing machine. I have several programs that I will load onto the computer so it must have room for them. Sigh...I barely know what I am talking about! Someone help me out here? Is it possible to build your own computer (or have someone else do it) and forego all the useless trial versions of virus protection and software usually found on computers you buy at Office Depot, Circuit City, Basic Best Buy etc.????? Thanks!

Hanna

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:10 PM

Hello nana1946,

You can certainly build a PC and you can build a laptop (considerably harder)

All that is needed is to gather all the components, make sure they are compatible with each other and then put them all together.

When you buy a hard drive, there is nothing on it. Meaning that you will be able to choose an operating system XP/Vista/Linux etc and then use any software you like with the system.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:29 PM

Or, you could just buy the laptop you want, and then run PC Decrapifier.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 nana1946

nana1946
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

Thanks Alan and tq1911. Does the decapifier really work? That might be easier if it really worked. I know the laptop I am using now had a trial version of mcAfee and I have never been able to completely remove it and every single time I start up the computer I get an error message from McAfee and a couple times a week I get a window wasking if I want to upgrade or search for McAfee upgrades. I am so tired of it. I have had this laptop almost 3 years and have just about worn all the letters off the keys! LOL. It is still functional but my husband wants one that runs faster...he is the impatient kind. When he strikes a key he expects the next page to be there immediately and I have so much crap running on the start menu that it takes it forever to load up. I don't know what to get rid of or even how to do it.

Hanna

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:09 PM

The tool above does work. Also to remove Mcaffee completely, try using the http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx...083&lc=1033

Just out of curiosity, how many processes are running? To find out press CTRL+ALT+DEL or right click on the taskbar and select task manager. Then select the processes tab. There should be a number of processes in the bottom left.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 nana1946

nana1946
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:28 PM

Alan, there are 67 processes running.

Also, I just downloaded McAfee Stinger after looking at the instructions to prepare to create a "Hijack This" log...so if I try to remove the McAfee stuff already on my computer...will it remove the Stinger? Should I try it anyway? Thanks!

Hana

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:36 AM

Hi Hana,

67 processes is rather a lot, I would imagine the system is a bit overloaded. You can reduce this number if you wish.

The removal tool for McAfee products should remove all traces of McAfee from the system. It may remove stinger, I'm not too sure. But you can download stinger again after the clean up.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 nana1946

nana1946
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

Thanks Alan! How do I reduce the number of processes running?

Also, I will use the McAfee link you gave me and if it removes Stinger, I'll just download it again. I am thrilled to know this might solve that problem!

Nana

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:02 AM

No problem, glad to help.

To reduce the processes and speed up the system, there are a few steps follow. The first step is to speed up starting the system.

The first step will be to get into msconfig. To do this, click start then run and type msconfig then press enter. A new window will open you need to click on the startup tab. You will see a list with check boxes to the left, could you post back the entries listed under the startup item column.

This will allow us to identify what programs start when windows starts and allow us to disable the ones that you don't need, which will make the system load faster.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 nana1946

nana1946
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:09 AM

OK, I'll be right back with that info! Thank you!

#11 nana1946

nana1946
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:13 AM

Oops! How do I copy and past from that screen? I tried right clicking to select all and then copy but don't have that option. Can you tell me how to do that?
Thanks!
Oh, I have a HJT log saved if that would work????
Nana

Edited by nana1946, 18 August 2008 - 10:14 AM.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:03 AM

Don't post a log in this forum. Also we download HJT from a different source, First read this preparation guide:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

When you have completed everything, post your log here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Edited by garmanma, 18 August 2008 - 11:03 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 nana1946

nana1946
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:13 AM

Thanks garmanma, I wasn't going to post it at all. I don't think I have been hijacked. I followed all the steps on the link you provided already yesterday and AdAware, Spybot and Stinger found nothing at all. I also downloaded Sygate firewall. I was just wanting to find out if I had too much pinned to the startup menu and don't know how to copy and paste the info that Alan requested I post. Thanks for your input! I also have Shield Delux anti-virus protection.

Nana

Edited by nana1946, 18 August 2008 - 11:16 AM.

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:01 PM

Just remember if you're using Sygate to turn off the Windows Firewall
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#15 nana1946

nana1946
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

OK, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users