Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Slave Drive Prevents Healthy Drive From Booting?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bochulain

Bochulain

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

I've got a computer with a healthy SATA HDD with a WinXP Pro SP3 install on it, up to date on updates, no errors in the event viewer. Boots fine. When I take a damaged IDE HDD and connect it (jumpered Master, Slave, or CS and properly placed on the cable), the system makes it as far as the Windows splash, then goes to black as expected, then the second drive begins chugging away, and then never stops. The system never completes the boot.

Why do I care? Occasionally I'll be at a job site where a hard drive "dies." If it spins up, I'll take it home, run "Get Data Back" on it, and try to salvage any data I can from the drive. I've done it successfully with a SATA and an IDE in the past, but I've had this issue before; my old PC had three HDDs, one died. Same boot issue until I removed it. Ironically I didn't have this problem with my old PC's HDD on my new PC when I salvaged it.

Obviously it's Windows choking on it, but I don't know why or if I can bypass it.
*The BIOS recognizes the device, and in it's previous computer, it would actually begin to boot and come back with a HAL.DLL error. No, it's really dead, I ran an UBCD Seagate Tools test on it and it came up FAIL, constant hardware errors.
*There are no listed errors in event viewer,
*I haven't seen any logs crop up with messages.
*I don't have the cash on hand for new hardware, or I'd try an enclosure; I've got one for a SATA drive and one that converts SATA to IDE, but nothing the other way around.
*I've got some Linux live CDs if anyone knows any tricks with them. I'm a bit fuzzy on Linux though, so that'd have to be detailed.

Also, this'd be my first post except for the "How'd you get the name" post. This forum has given me loads of great answers, and I hope to contribute in the future. EDIT: Didn't realize where "Description" went. Won't make that mistake in the future.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum and edited out duplicate title in description :thumbsup: . ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 17 August 2008 - 04:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:52 PM

I'd say that what you experienced is a typical XP reaction to bad drives being attached, at least in my experience.

I would imagine that the boot cannot get past the hardware recognition process...which causes the sputtering.

Just my guess.

Louis

#3 Bochulain

Bochulain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:37 PM

I agree hamluis, and thanks for the response, but what bothers me is that POST passes it without question, and Windows actually manages to boot to the splash. It just hangs afterwards, as though it's just waiting *one more second* before it gets to the Welcome screen. I'm hoping there's a magical setting in the Registry that would just force windows to ignore hardware failures of non-critical devices and proceed with bootup. So far anything I find in a Google search deals with failure prior to boot or BSODs after the splash.

I mean, the primary boot device isn't even on the same controller as the bad drive. What gives MS?

Edit: And thanks for removing the duplicate title Animal =)

Edited by Bochulain, 18 August 2008 - 08:38 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

Well...a bad hard drive won't have any effect on POST, unless it's the boot drive.

So you should have a good, normal POST.

It's when XP has to recognize drives, memory, etc...that the problem should (and does, IMO) appear. That's been my experience :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Bochulain

Bochulain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

Gotcha. Alright, I suppose I'll write this one off as dead then. I hate giving up though, so I'll be sure to let the world know if I find some way. The client in this case has some data backed up and some able to be re-entered. Just wanted to save him the trouble.

Thanks for the help, Luis, and have a great day!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

Opinions are easily given :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users