Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Reformatting Errors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sapsodifu

sapsodifu

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

I recently reformatted my Dell Laptop. I am pretty sure I reloaded all the updated drivers from the support webpage, but when I try to put my computer into standby or shut the lid, when I open it, it will not reload windows. I have to turn the power off and turn it back on. I checked the power settings, all seems good; no exclamation marks in device manager either. I looked in the BIOS and restored it to factory defaults, so that shouldn't be a problem either (I don't think)

Additionally, other small quirks since I have reformatted it is that the computer will not play DVDs (I think I tried installing either PowerDVD and WinDVD) or show a Hibernate option in the shutdown menu. How can I restore these functionalities?

Thanks!
AMS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:13 PM

Hello sapsodifu,

Have you performed a windows update?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:39 PM

I would reinstall the video driver.

What is the model number of your Dell Laptop?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 sapsodifu

sapsodifu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:45 PM

I have performed a windows update. I am currently redoing the video drivers. The dell model is an E1405.

AMS

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:48 PM

Let us know if reinstalling the video driver helps.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 sapsodifu

sapsodifu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:23 PM

Nope, unfortunately no change.

AMS

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:31 PM

This happens when one or more hardware does not support hibernate mode. This can happen when you upgrade or downgrade the drivers of such hardware. The hibernate may be supported by one version of driver but not by the other version. You should try uninstalling the updated drivers for any audio or video devices and installing the original drivers that came with laptop for them.

Edited by Romeo29, 17 August 2008 - 10:32 PM.

#8 sapsodifu

sapsodifu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:51 PM

Do you have any suggestions for getting the DVDs to play? Does that relate to drivers as well?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

You may need to install some video codecs to get your DVDs to play.

I tried looking on the Dell site for drivers or utilities related to power-saving and hibernation but i couldn't find any specific to your model.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users