Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DanFerret

DanFerret

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:28 PM

A few months ago my computer wouldnt start due to some sort of Hard Drive error. This lead to me buying a new hard drive which I installed as the main drive, with the old broken drive as a slave drive, so I could get any old files off it. However I understand now that this may have been the wrong way to do it?

I installed WinXp onto the new hard drive, I am now wondering is it safe to take the old hard drive out? Or disable it somehow?

To check the health of the old hard drive I used Hard Disk Sentinel which says the following.

Failure Predicted - Attribute: 5 Count of sectors moved to the spare area. Indicate problem with the disk surface or the read/write heads.
There are 2556 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
The drive found 31 bad sectors during its self test.
Based on the number of remapping operations, the health of the disk was decreased in different steps.
There are 2556 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
Replace hard disk immediately.

It is recommended to backup often to prevent data loss.

Does this mean the hard drive is complelty broken? Or would formatting it fix anything? I really have no realy knowledge on Hard Drives.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:06 PM

A few months ago my computer wouldnt start due to some sort of Hard Drive error. This lead to me buying a new hard drive which I installed as the main drive, with the old broken drive as a slave drive, so I could get any old files off it. However I understand now that this may have been the wrong way to do it?

I installed WinXp onto the new hard drive, I am now wondering is it safe to take the old hard drive out? Or disable it somehow?

To check the health of the old hard drive I used Hard Disk Sentinel which says the following.

Failure Predicted - Attribute: 5 Count of sectors moved to the spare area. Indicate problem with the disk surface or the read/write heads.
There are 2556 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
Based on the number of remapping operations, the health of the disk was decreased in different steps.
There are 2556 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.

Does this mean the hard drive is complelty broken? Or would formatting it fix anything? I really have no realy knowledge on Hard Drives.

Wrong way of doing it? I don't think so.

Bad sectors and all that some times can be recovered sometimes not.

Go to Start> Run | In this box type chkdsk /r

It should prompt you that it cannot run but will ask you to run next time the computer starts up. Tell it yes and reboot and let chkdsk scan your hard drives.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 17 August 2008 - 03:07 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:48 PM

Info: Bad Sectors On Hard Drives - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...1583&page=3

Bad sectors are not the end of the computing world :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2008 - 05:48 PM.

#4 DanFerret

DanFerret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:25 AM

Wrong way of doing it? I don't think so.

Bad sectors and all that some times can be recovered sometimes not.

Go to Start> Run | In this box type chkdsk /r

It should prompt you that it cannot run but will ask you to run next time the computer starts up. Tell it yes and reboot and let chkdsk scan your hard drives.

Thank you for your post.

I have done what you said but it only seemed to scan the healthy drive which is my E: drive.

So after reading that article that hamluis posted where there was a section on scanning the drivel like you said, I made it just scan the C: drive with "chkdksk /v C:".

This said it found a problem and corrected it, actually terms used where
"Detected minor inconsistencies on the drive. This is not a corruption.
Chkdsk is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Cleaning Up 9 unused index enteries from index $SII of file 9.
Cleaning Up 9 unused index enteries from index $SDH of file 9.
Cleaning up 9 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verifictation completed."

I then scanned the C: drive again but using the "chkdsk /r c:" like you first said.

During this scan it said

"Chkdsk is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)
Windows replaced bad clusters file 57486
of name \SYSTEM~1\_RESTO~1\RP553\CHANGE~1.2.
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is veryifying free space (stage 5 of 5)
Free space verification is complete.
Adding 1 bad clusters to the bad clusters file.
Correcting errors int he Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system."

What do I do next?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:52 AM

See if you can use that drive normally :thumbsup:.

Chkdsk /r is one of the best tools that many users underemploy, IMO.

Louis

#6 DanFerret

DanFerret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:42 AM

See if you can use that drive normally :thumbsup:.

Chkdsk /r is one of the best tools that many users underemploy, IMO.

Louis

Well Hard Disk Sentinel still gives a similar message to before.

However if the drive is now fine, is it safe to format it? Or are some important files still on it?

Is there a way to disable the drive to make sure my PC can work fine without it?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:20 AM

I don't know what Hard Disk Sentinel is...but if you've completed chkdsk /r of the drive...it seems to me that the only way to know whether the drive is good or not is to try to use it.

I would tend to put my confidence in chkdsk /r and the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic...before ever even considering a different tool. But, that's just my way of doing things.

Louis

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:42 PM

Sometimes if you boot up with the disk utility that the manufacturer of the drive provides (download it from their website), it can repair sectors that have non-fatal damage. It will also give you an idea as to the overall health of the drive. A full scan will let you know with a fair amount of certainty whether you have a drive that may have errors but is still functional, and whether you have a dying drive on its last leg.
Posted Image

#9 DanFerret

DanFerret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

Well the hard drive is a Maxtor SY080L0.

I had a look on the Maxtor website and get the impression I need to use SeaTools to do this?

#10 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

That should do it.
If this was a retail drive, it should have come with a bootable CD.
Otherwise you want the bootable floppy from the site, or download the iso and burn it as a CD image.
Posted Image

#11 DanFerret

DanFerret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:36 AM

That should do it.
If this was a retail drive, it should have come with a bootable CD.
Otherwise you want the bootable floppy from the site, or download the iso and burn it as a CD image.

I downloaded and burnt the CD image, and then booted from the CD. However my USB mouse and keyboard dont seem to work with it? Does this mean Im going to have to find an old style keyboard or am I doing something wrong for my USB keyboard and mouse to not work?

#12 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:12 AM

A USB keyboard should work fine, you may need to enable a BIOS option called "Legacy USB Support" however.
Posted Image

#13 DanFerret

DanFerret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:17 AM

Ok so I booted SeaTools and ran a short test on the drive, this told me that it found an error and I should run a long test.

So I did a long test and it said it found some errors and asked me to choose whether to repair them, I pressed the repair all option, it then said the test "passed after repair"

I then tried to see if I could runa short test but again it said it found errors and to run a long test. So I did another long test and again it found errors and "passed after repair"

I was a bit worried about using other scans provided by SeaTools without fully knowing what they do and if I need to be doing them.

#14 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:52 AM

If Seatools didn't flag the drive as having fatal errors you should be OK for the time being. It probably has some bad sectors now, but the drive should be able to compensate for it.
Posted Image

#15 DanFerret

DanFerret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:32 AM

If Seatools didn't flag the drive as having fatal errors you should be OK for the time being. It probably has some bad sectors now, but the drive should be able to compensate for it.

In this case is there a way to disable the drive so I can see if my PC runs fine without it?

Or am I going to manually have to take the drive out to test this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users