Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who Is The Genius That Can Figure Out What Happened Here.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jetguer

jetguer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

I have a desktop with windows xp and I just bought a laptop. I wanted to transfer all my data (110gb) from my desktop to my laptop by transfering it to my external harddrive first and then my laptop. BUT my desktop would not read my external hard drive. It would not show it on 'my computer' or make any aknowledgement that it was plugged in. So my very bright brother :thumbsup: decided that I should reinstall windows and maybe that would allow my external hard drive to be readable again. So I did the windows xp restore without formatting the hard drive and thats when the major problems happened. As it was installing it said there was an error and that it could not finish installing windows xp. So the computer is restarted and then I get the NTLDR is missing. I tried booting from the hard drive and disc and it still did that. So then I took out the hard drive and installed it as a slave on another desktop thinking I could go in there through a stable computer and attach my external hardrive as well and just move all my info into the external hardrive. Well when I did that the hard drive does show that it has 150gb of data in it. So I tried to go in there and find my data and I never found it. I even tried making hidden folders viewable and still I never found the data. So what happened or at leasta what do I do? I have over 7 years of info, pics, music, movies, videos, etc on that hardrive.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pgbsamurai

pgbsamurai

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

Which harddrive is not showing the data? The old one from your desktop, or the external drive?

#3 jetguer

jetguer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

The old hard drive.

#4 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:05 PM

Personally I would try to fix the old hard drive as the boot drive in the desktop, and take it from there.

Have a look at these:
http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=922664
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

When booting from disk, make sure in the BIOS the boot order has the CD as number 1. Also hit a key if the system asks for it before the boot sequence assumes the hard drive and gives the NTLDR error again.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users