Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates Not Installing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hello all I thought I had an infection and had things check by Billy O'Neil. My topic. He recommended I come here.

During the update process following Billy's request I could not get the following updates to install, neither as a bundle or individually.

Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 and 11 (KB941569)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB939683)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB936782)
Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP (KB929399)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:22 PM

One of the following may help:

KB 943144, Updates Not Installed From WinUpdate After Repair - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

PC Hell How to Fix Problem When Windows Updates Download But Won't Install - http://www.pchell.com/support/windows_upda...t_install.shtml

You cannot install some updates or programs - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

Louis

#3 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

Louis,

The link to PC Hell help fix the problem thank you for the fast and accurate response.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:08 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:42 AM

HAHA i think I may have jumped the gun. The updates installed and that part is good. however my sound is no longer working and I cant access any part of the event viewer to see whats going on. To be more specific, I open winamp to play some music. I get a direct sound error. I uninstalled/reinstalled my sound card, updated and rolled back drivers, updated Direct X, Unplugged and plugged the sound card into another slot. Had no results thats when I went to check the event viewer, it opens but I could not assess the APP. SEC. SYS. or IE sub events.

I get this error on all sub events.

Unable to complete the operation on "Application". The interface is unknown.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:04 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555632 for the EV situation.

Can you post the exact message you get re sound?

Louis

#7 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

I followed the directions you provided to restore the event logs. There are a few in app as app error and app hang. A few in system all as service control manager.

Winamp:
"Bad Directsound driver. Please install proper driver or select another device in configuration. Error code: 88780078"

WMP:
"Windows media player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be used by another program, or not functionally properly."

My device manager shows no warnings and it says my sound card is installed and functioning properly.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

Go into Device Manager, remove the sound drivers...reboot and reinstall same.

Drivers could be damaged/corrupt, which normally is not reflected in Device Manager.

Louis

#9 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:30 PM

I did that and it didn't work. I still get the same errors.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

You could try the XP Sound Troubleshooter..the HELP files will direct you to it.

Louis

#11 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

I have been through the trouble shooter. No dice there too. I have been searching the net and found how to fix the problem in winamp. I had to reconfigure the direct sound driver. now its just WMP and windows system sounds.When I open View>plugins>Options>AudioDSP. I notice that there is nothing listed under the audio DSP. Should there be?

EDIT: OK i don't know why i didnt notice this before. Under the sound and audio devices properties it says there is no playback device.

EDIT: I attached screen shots from the sound and audio device properties and the device manager.

Attached Files

Edited by Necrotic Freak, 18 August 2008 - 05:53 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:16 PM

Well...since there is no evidence that it IS working properly...I'd guess that there is something wrong with the card.

XP doesn't recognize a playback or record device.

In my experience...those WDM drivers only come into play for video capture cards. I see where they may be used when capturing FM, etc.

In short...I don't think you have correct drivers installed, based on what I see.

I'm hampered by the fact that I don't use my Creative sound card, deeming onboard audio to be sufficient.

What you might do is remove that card via Device Manager...and see if your onboard sound works properly.

That appears to me to be a pretty old sound card...that might have something to do with your situation.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 August 2008 - 06:20 PM.

#13 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

If it is not working properly then why do I get sound through Winamp now but not through windows? I tried to update the driver and it said I had the latest one available. Wait i just had a brain fart. perhaps i have to update the driver or d/l a patch from creative. If that dose not work then i will switch to on board sound to see if that works.

EdIT: Creative no longer supports the card. and suggest I use the driver from Microsoft. I switched to the on board audio device and get the same error in WMP and no system sounds, but Winamp still works. I updated the driver through windows but it tells me i have the latest driver. I have no idea what my specs are for ir is a piece together from a local shop.

Edited by Necrotic Freak, 18 August 2008 - 08:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users