Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Re-install Xp With Toshiba Recovery Disk After Using Dban?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joe313

joe313

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:08 PM

Hello,

Because of a back door trojan, I decided to use DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) to overwrite the hdd and then re-install xp home. The problem is that the Toshiba recovery cd's run successfully, but when the pc reboots, I end up with a black screen and a flashing cursor. Windows xp doesn't start.

What I have done:

Ran DBAN in the 'autonuke' mode. It was successful.

Followed Toshiba instructions and booted to the 'Express Media Player Recovery CD' (for full re-install), selected 'Delete all partitions'. It was successful.

Followed Toshiba instructions and booted to the 'Product Recovery DVD-ROM'. It copied files for about 15 minutes and was successful.

Now, when the pc boots, just a black screen appears with a flashing cursor. Windows XP doesn't load.

I re-ran the Toshiba Product Recovery CD two more times. It was successful both times, but no improvement.

How do I get the pc up and running again?

I don't have a plain XP install disk, only the recovery disks from Toshiba.

PC: Toshiba M70 with 100 gb hard drive.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

ps - maybe this thread should be in the "Internal Hardware" forum?

Edited by joe313, 17 August 2008 - 10:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:35 PM

Seems to be an issue with typing a certain a certain command. They didn't wipe it clean with Dban, though
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...ly-toshiba.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 joe313

joe313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:02 PM

Hey Garmanma,

Thanks for the link. I hadn't found that one.
The fix is to re-name the drive label to something without any spaces (ie 'localdrive' instead of 'local drive'). I'd like to try it, but don't know what tool or utility to use that the pc will boot to and allow me to rename the drive or look at it at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks - Joe

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:14 PM

Can you access Safe Mode and rename the drive there?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 joe313

joe313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

Usasma,

Unfortunately, safe mode isn't available because windows won't come close to starting. The only way I can start a program is to have it on a bootable CD.

I'm trying to get educated on the tools that are included in UltimateBootCD. Is anyone familiar with UltimateBootCD and know if it has a tool with the ability to read and edit the drive label?

Any other ideas as to what might need to be done to the drive so the recovery CD's will work properly? At this point I don't know if the drive even has a drive label. I don't know if it needs formatting, or a partition created, or the master boot record is messed up, or who knows what.

Thanks - Joe

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:58 PM

The drive label should be immaterial with the recovery CD's - the Ghost image on the CD's will write over everything on the drive.

You may want to try the Recovery Console - and use the fixmbr and fixboot commands. You can download a copy of the recovery console from here: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso (NOTE: this is a direct download, to be safe, scan the file with your antivirus before opening it).

Beyond that, I'd have to suggest a hard drive test. I'd recommend this one for your Toshiba laptop: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 joe313

joe313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

Hello Usasma,

I bit the bullet yesterday and took the pc into a shop (I spent ALL day Sunday working on it). Assuming they get it up and running and give me the details as to what they did, I'll post back with the info.

Before I took it in, I booted a 'Ubuntu Live CD' in the machine and looked at the hard drive. The windows files where there. Your idea of trying the 'Recovery Console' with the fixmbr and fixboot commands might have done the trick. My hunch is that the Toshiba recovery disks will only work if the machine has a problem with XP, but everything else on the drive is intact. In hind sight I probably should have predicted that and not used DBAN. Live and learn! All of this time and effort spent thanks to malware.

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users