Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox And Google Toolbar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:13 AM

Last night I was listening to music using WMP and posting on one of my regular forums. I decided to log out of the PC and go downstairs and watch Match of the Day on BBC. I exited Firefox and clicked on WMP and at that moment my PC crashed. After the football I signed in again and looked at the event viewer but I am not very good at the technical side of things and didn't notice anything obvious.

I then opened up Firefox to find that it came up in a smaller screen and had 4 tabs along the top. Two were the ones you get after updating No Script and the Stumble Upon one, one was thanking me for choosing Ad-Blok Plus and the other was a little pop up which refused to die until I checked a box telling me about the wonders of the Google tool bar. I had to re- install AdBlok Plus and uncheck the toolbar list of the toolbars I don't use. The strangest thing is that I already had all of these add-ons attached to Firefox.

After surfing a few of my regular sights and being greeted with pop up after pop up from No-Script which I have long since either okayed or added to the untrustworthy list I think what has happened is that when the PC crashed it has affected my installation of Firefox and also wiped my list of No-Scripts yesses and no's. Luckily my Bookmarks are untouched.

I have the Google Toolbar installed on my PC but have it unticked in "View" as I don't use it much at all and it only takes up space on my screen.

My PC's OS is Windows XP Home Edition updated to SP3 and is protected in real time by Comodo Firewall Pro, SpyWare Blaster, Comodo BoClean and Avira AntiVirus all up to date. I also use SuperAnti Spyware, A-Squared on a manual basis. I did my weekly scan with Superantispyware yesterday morning which came up clean. I then visited these forums and clicked on a link in the Firewall/AV Forum pointing to a PC's Best Protection test conducted at Tech Spot. I read here that Malware Bytes had come second to Superantispyware in his test and therefore downloaded and installed a copy from the link provided also to run on a manual basis and like the other two unchecked from my start up list. I ran a scan with it which also found nothing so I am reasonably sure that I had no infection etc on my machine prior to the above events with Firefox. Before going to bed last night I ran a scan with A-Squared which came top in the test for finding Worms,Keyloggers etc thinking it might possibly be a reason. On checking the result this morning it also came up clean.

Can anyone tell me what could have happened here and how to ensure it doesn't happen again?. I have had No-Scripts installed for months and very rarely got any yellow bars anymore but now it seems as though I will have to rebuild that whole list of blocked sites.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:16 AM

Hello bluesjunior,

My first step would be the event viewer, are there any errors and or warnings in any of the categories?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:07 AM

First off thanks for the reply nigglesnush85. I checked the event viewer logs and all I can see is that the system has recovered from a bugcheck whatever that means.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:12 AM

Sounds like a Blue Screen Of Death. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 may be able to help find the cause of the problem.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the link Allan I will try it and see.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

No problem, glad to help, let us know how it turns out.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users