Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking/ICS issues

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 neogen10

neogen10

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:53 PM

Alright. Two days of working at this.

I have two network cards on my host computer. I'd like very much for this damn thing to share it's internet with another computer (which is in the same room.)

I have a hub, but i can't get it to do squat, can't even figure out how to get my network working.

Main problems include:

The computer registers that the ethernet controller is installed (just installed this one), it then accepts i install the drivers (pain in the ass to find for it by the way), but after, it tells me basically that it does not exist. I found out there is an IRQ conflict, problem is, it wont go away. I've tried every damn slot available for this thing, and it doesn't go away. First slot it reads it as my video card or something, and everyone below it it just does nothing. I have one slot i haven't tried and thats because it has something in it im not sure i SHOULD remove. It's a USB thing (two usb slots), the very bottom slot on the back of the PC.

I have all the necessary cables, all the right software... what the hell am i doing wrong?

At the very least, if someone can help me hook up my network to both computers i might be able to figure it out from there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:57 AM

Tell us the basics about your two computers please - What operating system, what type of processor, how much RAM, what type of network cards?

What kind of Hub do you have? How many ports, what speed?

You only need one network card in your host computer, why do you have two? Do you think one is faulty? If so uninstall it and remove the card.

What kind of internet connection do you have? Dial-up or broadband? If broadband is there a modem/router involved? If so what make & model?

What kind of cables do you have? Are they new?

That should be enough to get the ball rolling. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 neogen10

neogen10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:40 PM

Both are running windows XP home edition, 512 ram. The second computer has i believe a realtek card (that or a lynksys, when i check the computer is giving me conflicting info and i dont have the original package i got the card from). The first computer has the card it came with, a realtek, and a davicom card.

The hub is a speedstream 5 port 10/100 ethernet switch with an uplink port. (By siemens).

I installed a second card on the host computer in an attempt to get this to work. It wasn't working with one, so i installed the second. The original card is working fine, but i can't get the second to function. The computer reads it but doesn't want to use it. I have since resolved the IRQ problem but it still wont operate.

Im on broadband, using a modem. Not sure what model it is but the model number is 60194e-a02.

One of the cables is a blue ethernet cord. I've gotten the most success with that one, but i have no idea what kind of cord it is. The others are black, same jacks and everything and look identical besides the color (but we all know that doesn't make them the same), but they don't always work as well as the blue one.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:01 AM

I think your broadband modem is from Ambit Microsystems (taiwan). I say 'think' because their website is so badly organised I cannot find the model you quoted.

Do you connect to that modem via Ethernet or USB?

I'm still checking my facts for cable modem connection, hopefully I will have a better reply soon.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:12 AM

Hmmm - reading up on broadband modems the situation is complicated. It looks as though you were heading down the right path to one solution by adding the second ethernet card in your system.

The idea is the broadband modem is constricted to only talk to one Mac address (one ehternet card) therefore connecting it to your hub will not help as it will still only talk to the one PC.
Solution 1 - Let the modem just talk to one PC, but have a second ethernet card in that PC with a seperate network set up to talk to the seond PC. Then set up Internet connection sharing.

Solution 2 - Install a broadband router. The modem connects to the WAN port on the router and the router has a built in hub where you pug in the PCs. Your hub is not needed in this setup.

I should not comment any further as I have no experience of sharing broadband modems. There are some excellent guides which may help you here: http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-arch.asp

:thumbsup: ICS with broadband modems anyone? :flowers:

#6 neogen10

neogen10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the info. Sadly, im still stuck. My internet connection is working fine, that card seems to have no problems, but the card i would use to set up a network between both computers doesn't seem to want to work. The computer has picked it up and does realize it's there, but even when i plug a cable into it (tried several including a crossover cable) it tells me the cable is unplugged. The other computer will pick it up and tell me that the local area network connection is working, but it isn't.

I not only can't get my net shared but i also can't get the file sharing/network set up because the second card doesn't seem to want to work.

Originally i thought it was because of an IRQ problem, but it isn't. I have the drivers installed (or at least what i was told was the drivers) and still nothing. I can't find any other davicom XP drivers, so i don't know what to do if the drivers are the problem.

Is this card just not compatible with XP?

#7 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

normally, a modern motherboard and Windows XP will do all the IRQ resolution that can be done, automatically, so you may be sunk on this configuration. if you don't see both network adapters in the Network Connections panel, you probably won't. you could try poking around in the BIOS, but proceed with care.

easiest thing is, as per suggestion, to spring for a router. can be had for 50-80 bucks and is practically brainless to install. you may need to call your provider and register the MAC address of the router with them, but probably not even that.

you could also try an external USB network adapter-

Edited by caterbro, 21 April 2005 - 03:27 PM.

Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:57 PM

Just a dumb thought - have you tried replacing the cables you use to connect the two PCs to the hub?
You need two Cat5E patch cables of suitable length. Those black cables you speak of may not be suitable for ethernet networks.

#9 neogen10

neogen10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:50 PM

I checked and the blue one was a cat 5e, the others were just 'patch' cables. I got myself another cat 5e, so now i just need to get this going again.

I still can't seem to get my card to work. It shows up under network connections, but tells me network cable is unplugged.

It also shows up under my device manager.

I'll play with it for a bit, but if anyone has a guide or tips to hook this up, shoot em my way. So far i haven't found one that has done me any good, because the second card tells me its unplugged each time.

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:50 PM

What do the lights on the hub say?

#11 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:42 AM

I still can't seem to get my card to work. It shows up under network connections, but tells me network cable is unplugged.

It also shows up under my device manager.

that sounds like progress, if you are talking about the second network adapter- what is the other end of the cat5 plugged into? there needs to be a powered, active connection on both ends of the patch cable for the device to show up as connected. you can test that card with the modem to verify that it can get a signal.
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users