Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram... Wallah... Gone! Back! Wallah...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 gheese

gheese

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:38 PM

have had a 512MB ram stick in forever and got a trojan that took it down to 384, or I messed up along the way (doubtful). Anyhow bios and ram testing sites say I should have 512 and there is/are not things that are requiring this much ram (128) to take it down from 512 to 384. I reset ram in other slot yet still reading 384 available (actually less obv), but you should get the idea here. Question is do I have a bad bank or not I guess? Still infected... no... definitely not, but the ram is seemingly gone and I have tried multiple things to gather back the 512. ??? Ideas ????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:59 AM

If you are looking at System Properties you will only see the the amount of free RAM. You may have 512MB or RAM, but will not show the total amount because of the draw from critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices.

If you look in System Information it will show you the total amount of RAM installed.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Information.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:29 AM

Are you taking into account the RAM dedicated to your video, if you have onboard?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

yes and yes, as i said i know what is actually available earlier and I am NOT SEEING 512MB of ram anywhere except from tests that I run on WHAT I SHOULD BE SEEING WHICH IS 512. I am seeing 384 only... available a lot less obvioiusly because of things running.

#5 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:47 PM

tied in with another thread prob fixed. thanks.

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

Thread closed

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users