Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Redirect,false Web Pages When Not Connected To The Internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 carolbee

carolbee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:47 PM

I am helping my sister in law with her computer, I am stumped. every time I try to log into the internet address bar redirects to about:blank.... and an anti spyware site. there is even a FALSE web page showing with a FALSE active x bar which I haven't touched, but is keyed to "download microsoft approved spyware removal tool" I know this is false because the computer was at the time NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. The web page has also placed something inthe systemtray that mimics a microsoft security alert, and produces the "baloon" alert there is spyware installed on your computer....

I did have this, or a similar problem on my own computer, and did mange to remove it by changing the program settings, changing the internet service provider- however, when I tried to do this this time, I saw that where there are normally the use blank button- it changes the setting to : use blank. Literaly
I type google.com- I get anti spyware. I type Comcast.net- I get comcast.net, then when I try to download filehippo,s Ccleaner-I get re-directed. Any program I would normally use to remove spyware, it redifrects from the site. McAffee, AVG, Ccleaner... but I can still, with a lot of patientce, get msn, comcast,etc.
They have obvoisly worked on this over time, and I will say that I know the longer this program exists, the worse it gets.

I have also determined that they are hijacking information, as it is entered, probably a keylogger or something.
I have removed All music, video,temporary internet files,cookies, incomplete url's, and anything modified inthe last 30 days. Tried a system restore, but it won't let me.

I'm sure there is more I can't remember- after 4 hours all of the simple stuff I tried is gone from MY memory. Am going over there tomorrow with my laptop and some hard disk programs (Ccleaner, windows defender, etc) and see if I can't do something that way......

Any Ideas? I WILL write back (BELIEVE ME) with whatever I fin d, as well as at least more info + maybe a snapshot nof the prb.....

Thanks,
anyone more geeky than me?

Mod Edit: Moved to the appropriate forum. ~ tg

Edited by tg1911, 16 August 2008 - 11:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

I recommend posting in this forum. Pretty much guaranteed you have some nasties on your system, but the HJT Team here will help you get rid of those buggers! :thumbsup:

Regards,
Adam
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users