Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Have To Have An Even # Of Memory Cards?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ghead

ghead

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:24 PM

Hello,
My system memory card died recently and I think it was because of Kaspersky since there real time protection can be taxing on low memory cards, so I got it replaced through my extended warranty but if I keep it as is I'm betting kaspersky will kill it again.
Right now I have 1 crappy Hynix 1GB DDR PC3200 DIMM,Q card in, and four slots total for up to 4gb total.
I want to replace that with 2GB cards (1gbx1gb) to take advantage of the dual channel also.
So I was wondering do you have to have only two or four cards of the same specs for the computer to work or could I have the two new cards I get installed along with the hynix one to make a total of 3 cards at 3GB, or would that ruin the dual channel advantage or not let the computer function to it's potential?

Also the replacement Hynix 1gb seems to make everything 30% to at times 50% slower then the cards I had that died which were 2 x 512mb samsung ddr pc3200 cards, is that because they were able to take advantage of the dual channel technology?

Thanks a Bunch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:34 PM

Could you supply make, and model of your computer?
If a custom build, make and model of the motherboard.
Does your motherboard support dual channel?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:38 PM

To take advantage of the dual channeling, I'm pretty sure that you DO have to have an even number of dimms. However, the advantage you would see should be overcome by sticking a third 1GB dimm in your system. 3GB running normal vs 2GB running dual channel......you shouldn't even notice a difference.

And, I doubt Kaspersky had anything to do with the dimm burning out. Low end memory just isn't made to the same standards as some higher end memory. I've got 2GB of low end memory in mine that have worked great for over 2 years now, but I've seen other low end memory last less than a couple of months.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#4 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:55 AM

What brand of memory has lasted you 2 years possumbarnes?

#5 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:58 AM

Could you supply make, and model of your computer?
If a custom build, make and model of the motherboard.
Does your motherboard support dual channel?

It has the nforce 410 chipset which supports dual channel memory up to 4gb
But it only supports the older ddr 400mhz pc3200 dual channel type

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

My Athlon 650 system is going on 8ish years old (it was donated to me) still running on the original memory. I have no Idea what kind it is though.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:28 PM

My Athlon 650 system is going on 8ish years old (it was donated to me) still running on the original memory. I have no Idea what kind it is though.

Dang! time to crack your case open and find out eh......?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:13 AM

There are some manufacturers out there that have a "Value" line of modules which may not perform well under source intensive applications. Another thing to remember is that every manufacturer will experience a failure, it's part and parcel of the system.

Dual channel requires the module to be in pairs, two modules, or four modules. The do need to have the same specs for proper performance.

If you download SIW and open it, scroll down the list in the left margin to Motherboard and click on this. Please post back here what the model is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users