Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Network Traffic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rlincoln21

rlincoln21

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

Hey guys I have an issue that im not sure is an issue but im pretty sure it is as my other pc isnt doing it. My computer constantly is sending and receiving data. even though im not downloading anything. or updating or am on any instant messenger, nothing is running that should need internet yet, constantly there is traffic.

Now I normally prolly wouldnt think much of it but i have another computer in the same state just sitting there doing nothing. So that worries me. Ive run AVG, Mcafee, Spybot and adaware and all of them turned up nothing (other than the usual like tracking cookies annd the sort). Anyone have any suggestions on what I could run next to try and resolve this please Thanks. Rlincoln24

Additionally if anyone knows of a tool that will allow me to monitor my network connection and see waht is using it where data is going and what not id appreciate it thanks.

Edited by rlincoln21, 16 August 2008 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:06 PM

Look in the Task Manager and see what applications and processes are running.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rlincoln21

rlincoln21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:15 AM

That really doesnt tell me what is accessing network resources though? I can list them all for you if you'd like though. I mean I can go to the network tasb and see there is utilization there but it doesnt tell me what is using it.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:46 AM

I like this person's work, but haven't had to use it very often: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html#network_utils
Also, the free Process Monitor and Process Explorer will help you to see what's going on under the hood:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...essmonitor.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:08 AM

I use currports http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html to view what ports are opened and by what application.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 rlincoln21

rlincoln21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:15 AM

Thanks a bunch guys im gonna play with these and ill post what i find here.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

Currports can be a bit tricky to understand at first. If you need any help with it, just ask.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 rlincoln21

rlincoln21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

Thanks a bunch guys I figured it out luckily it wasnt a virus or anything. Just my lack of reading. I started downloading a free mmorpg from www.aeriagames.com called Shaiya and in the process the downloader they make you use to get the game installs a program called btdna. It basically incorporates a torrent like functionality into your web browser and shares data with other users to accelerate browsing speed. Dont ask me why but with a 6MB/s connection who would need such a thing soaking your network connection with no way to control it or turn it off.

Thanks for the help guys my computer is back at 100% effeciency.

Oh ya 1 more thing the other program that I was linked ess monitor? I cant make heads nor tails of that program anyone know where a lamens tut or faw is for it? or can anyone give me a brief explanation thanks.

rlincoln21

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:26 PM

The tool John linked to is process monitor. This tool basically monitors windows, it will display quite a bit of information about what programs are doing what and can be used to get a better understanding of what happens behind the scenes of the system.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users