Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ide To Sata Issues

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 forsberg

forsberg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

I bought a internal adapter to hook up my IDE to my Mobo which does not have any IDE integration. Even the disc drive has sata connection, no IDE. Anyways, I hooked everything up properly and put jumper on master. I power up the pc and it freezes at the HP blue screen, the one that allows you to hit esc to get into bios. So I tried getting into bios, no go. So I'm thinking maybe the adapter is a defect. Maybe there may be some configurations that have to be completed first. I just bought this pc 4 days ago. I just wanted to transfer files from one HD to another. BTW, the old pc died. So I can't network the two. Also, everything boots fine when the adapter is not connected. Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:26 PM

Hi forberg, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Is this a IDE to PCI card?

How is the hdd being recognized in My Computer?

Which hdd are you booting from when you have this problem?

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as a master in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's knowledge base article. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Edited by dc3, 17 August 2008 - 10:03 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:39 PM

When you say "adapter"...do you mean that you installed an IDE controller card?

If so...did you install the drivers for same?

If so...did you change the boot order in the BIOS?

Adapter: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CX...002&cat=CCD

Controller: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CX...410&cat=CCD

Louis

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

Was gonna help but Louis done took the words right outta my mouth lol.

Wondering why you're setting the old HDD to master tho... Something with the controller card that you have to do that? If not i'd set that sucker to slave and boot off the HDD that the computer was built to boot off of.

#5 forsberg

forsberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:59 AM

The adapter is connected to a SATA interface on the motherboard. Which in turn is connected to IDE female in turn is connected to the IDE HDD. It is not a chip device, it is merly a cable connection that allows you to connect a IDE HDD to a SATA interface. With i connected, I cannot get into bios. So with that said, the registry in intact. I know this because everything runs smoothly when I boot without it.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

Would you please give us the make and model of the adapter?

Let me see if I have this correct. You are plugging the adapter into the SATA header on the motherboard, and from the adapter you have a IDE cable attaching this to you PATA hdd?

Edited by dc3, 17 August 2008 - 10:12 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 forsberg

forsberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

I believe it is a Gigabyte SATA 24aso-sataad-01 From Gigabyte Technolgies. Sata to Parallel Cable. Yes that is correct dc3.

Edited by forsberg, 17 August 2008 - 12:41 PM.

#8 forsberg

forsberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:49 PM

UPDATE: OK, so it turns out it takes 1.5 mins longer to load. Mind you i'm use to 25secs. SO I let it load and I get this error code. 0x000007B. My research shows me it's something to do with the IDE. Do I need to install a driver or is it something else. Also, why does it take longer to get into bios,load windows etc when the IDE HDD is connected? I did notice bios did recognize my IDE drive. I just need to access the drive so I can transfer some files over. But, having it permanently installed would be great. Thanks for your help so far.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,410 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

Somewhat related: http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64926

Louis

#10 forsberg

forsberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

Louis, your link that you posed, is it saying that an USB enclosure(external case for internal HDD's) is a lot more simple than my cable?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,410 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

That link...is just for reference, how others viewed a similar situation.

If I were you in that situation (I have been)...I would have just bought an inexpensive PCI controller card for IDE drives which I might want to use with the motherboard. Most, if not all, power supplies still suppy both types of connectors...so that would be no issue.

The only possible issue with a PCI controller card is how many IDE slots you want :thumbsup: and there would not be possible conflicts of any sort since the IDE hard drives would be on a fast IDE controller and not the motherboard.

Louis

#12 forsberg

forsberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

Thanks Louis, I figured it was just to show what happened in another similar situation. I paid $16 for the adapter. So it wasn't that bad. But about that external shell for internal drives. Good reviews?
Also, Should I attempt to install a driver for the IDE?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,410 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:29 AM

USB enclosures are relatively cheap...I cannot measure "reliability" since I don't have much experience with enclosures (haven't used one in about 3/4 years) and I tend to more oriented towards employing drives which are connected via the motherboard or a PCI controller.

I suspect that enclosures are as reliable as anything else :thumbsup:.

I would suggest that...if you buy a USB enclosure, remember that you have increased potential points of failure (enclosure, drive, motherboard) and I suggest that you get an enclosure that is powered and provides a fan for cooling.

IME, all IDE drivers should have been installed initially, along with all other motherboard drivers.

But...I've not encountered a setup like yours where SATA is the only option present. That would say to me that...there are no IDE controllers present on the motherboard, since there is no need for such if the motherboard does not natively support IDE drives/connections of any type.

That's the beauty (IMO) of going the PCI controller route...the PCI card has its own controller which allows interface with the system...after the drivers are properly installed. Whatever devices the controller card supports (SATA or IDE or both) operate "independently" of motherboard controllers or lack thereof.

USB is a good, useful tool but I only use it where it's better than it's predecessors (scanner, printer, etc.). A more direct connection will be faster and maybe take 1 possible link out of the connection-failure possibilities. And a number of us have experienced situations with onboard USB that have resulted in relying on a USB PCI card for USB connectivity.

So, all in all...onboard USB is probably more of a questionable item in my mind...than any device which would use it.

Louis

#14 forsberg

forsberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

Hey Louis, I went out and bought a USB casing for my 3 internal drives. So in total I'm well over a terabyte. Everything is working smoothly. I'm kind of disappointed we couldn't figure this out. I may take a crack at it later. Thanks for you help and insight. I really do appreciate it. To be continued...

Edited by forsberg, 19 August 2008 - 01:48 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,410 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:55 PM

Resolution is good...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users