Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When Looking At The Hjt Report

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:37 PM

I did a HJT scan and retained the report, I was looking through it and for some reason, (and I'm not sure, but I think),

it doesn't look like others I've read I don't see any, "not infected", or "infected", words in there ?

and it isn't a mile long like others I've seen. Its a Trend Micro HJT.

Another thing is I later did a scan using SAS and found 23 cookies these were not doing me any good, telling by how this computer is now working after I deleted them, but I don't see them any where in the HJT report, am I missing something ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

Hello Jove,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HJT sums up what HijackThis is.

It doesn't flag up infected words, It creates a detailed list for the user to diagnose.

If you think you are infcted, you should post the log in the HijackThis forum for analysis.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

I did a HJT scan and retained the report, I was looking through it and for some reason, (and I'm not sure, but I think),

it doesn't look like others I've read I don't see any, "not infected", or "infected", words in there ?

and it isn't a mile long like others I've seen. Its a Trend Micro HJT.

Another thing is I later did a scan using SAS and found 23 cookies these were not doing me any good, telling by how this computer is now working after I deleted them, but I don't see them any where in the HJT report, am I missing something ?

Which others are you referring to? HijackThis is a cataloger of sorts. It lists various settings and registry keys. It won't list cookies. Its purpose is to help diagnose malware issues. The reason you see 'mile-long' logs more now is because different programs are also required to properly analyse and they look at much more areas of the registry and system, thus resulting in much bigger and complex logs. HijackThis is a powerful utility, but it is also limited in what it looks at. That's where the other programs come in. Some of which use HijackThis as part of their routine (which may explain why you think they are supposed to be long).

Hope that answers your question adequately.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:41 PM

OK Thanks everybody !

I was mistaken I was more or less glancing through post at HJT forum and cam across "not infected in the;

I Can Not Get Rid Of This Backdoor Haxdoor Options Track this topic
felinepeachy
May 19 2007, 11:19 AM

Post, and checked it was a virus scan, sorry !

But appreciate your help and explanations.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:33 AM

No problem, glad to help