Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Even Get To Recommended Software

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 owlice

owlice

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

I'm trying to help my father with his very malware-infected computer. I'm trying to follow the instructions for preparing to submit an HJT log, but I can't even get to the software download sites or this site when I'm on his computer, because the malware is redirecting me. I type in www.bleepingcomputer.com or try to get there from a google search result, and it goes somewhere else. Same with adaware and lavasoft. I was running the computer in safe mode with networking (Win98). How can I get the software on to his computer if I can't download it?

I'm currently on my own computer (with Dad's taken OFF the network), can I download all the software in the "preparation" list, burn them to a CD, transfer them onto Dad's computer, and run them from there? If updates are needed via the Internet, the malware may not allow them to get there?

Also, I haven't been able to start up his computer successfully in anything but safe mode. Can I do the malware cleanup in safe mode, or will it miss stuff as a result?

Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 owlice

owlice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:03 AM

By the way, I misspoke about it being Win98 (slip of the tongue/brain). It's XP.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

can I download all the software in the "preparation" list, burn them to a CD, transfer them onto Dad's computer, and run them from there?

Yes.

HijackThis needs to be run in normal mode so you need to try and resolve the safe mode only issue.

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, save it to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program. If you cannot transfer or install from the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive or CD so it will install on the hard drive.

You will also need to, manually download the updates, save and transfer them as well. After installing MBAM, just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install and update.

Before performing a Quick Scan, please print out and follow these instructions.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Scanning in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, it loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a driver which does not work in safe mode. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended. Since you cannot use normal mode, then perform your scan in safe mode.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users