Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie7 Launches On It's Own

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MrsStan

MrsStan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

Hi - for the last 2 days I've had a strange problem where my PC randomly opens yahoo in IE when I'm typing (it's not my home page)
It only does this whilst I'm using the keyboard, browsing by mouse is fine.
I've tried using notepad to see if it's a specific keystroke making it launch, but best I can see this really is random.

I'm running an HP Pavilion with XP Media Centre Internet Security v2002 & SP3.
For security I use Norton Internet Security etc, virus definitions all up to date.
I also have a HP Multimedia wireless keyboard - it has quick access keys across the top but I'm not going anywhere near these.

First thing I checked was the Multimedia keyboard settings - moved them all back to defaults, so 'Internet Launch' should take me to hp website.
Carry on typing, problem started again. Checked keyboard settings, they were pointing back to Yahoo.

So I ran a full Norton scan overnight and it came back clean (bar one tracking cookie which I cleaned).
I ran a Panda scan today following some notes on this website, and again it just came back with cookies (have saved the result)
I've deleted all temp internet files, cookies etc.
I've installed the latest software from hp for my keyboard and rebooted a number of times.

The problem is still happening. I know it doesn't sound so bad, but as it switches focus to the new tab when you're half way through a word it's a real pain.
Talking to Norton LiveChat support last night, it opened 17 tabs in the space of 3 sentences, hence I'm doing this on my laptop!

I've also checked the list of fake spyware from another post, and I have none of them installed.
I have however found that if I stop the process kbd.exe then the problem goes away.

Don't know if I've picked up something nasty or if it's just some innocent corruption like the registry.
Can anyone help me please?

Edited by MrsStan, 16 August 2008 - 02:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users