Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screwed Up Xp Big Time!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CAnn

CAnn

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

Hello and here's hoping that you can help me!! Not sure if I am in the right forum, but if not please move post. (This plea for help is not for networking vista with xp home Edition (service pack 2), but a result of my attempt-screwed up xp computer !)Here's my problem: Just bought a new HP with vista home premium. I have a HP with win xp (which will now be taken over by my husband). I renamed my old xp with his name.I tried to network (using wired router) the two so that he had access to the printer and I had access to some files and older programs still on the xp that vista is not compatible with. That's where my problem began. I could see both computers on the vista, but could not access\get into his computer at all. On his computer, I could not see my vista at all. I did a search on line and found a video called Lab Rats where they tell you how to network vista with xp. I followed all instructions. They mentioned that one of the main problems was that simple file sharing needed to be turned off in xp and since this could be done in xp professional or win 2000, it was not so simple with home ed. They gave a link to see how to do it: http://tinyurl.com/39vhnf
In this set of instructions, it said to boot in safe mode, go into properties, click on advanced and then click on box which says: Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects. I did this. Then all my troubles began!! (Unfortunately, once clicked and okayed, this can't be undone!!) I could not get into any document folders, programs wouldn't work. For example, when I tried to get into my adobe photoshop, I got the message: could not initialize because file is locked. Use windows explorer to unlock file. Well...I couldn't even get into windows explorer because it said I did not have access! Well panic set in and after researching on the net, I was able to fix things so that I could access (most) of my documents and Windows explorer ..for some still getting access denied. . This did not fix the problem with my photoshop and even when I put in my PS disk to try to get it to repair..it wouldn't let me in to continue.When I try to open my adobe audition..nothing happens.. no program..nothing comes up. Also, I have no e-mail..when I try to access that I get the message that outlook could not be started because Msoe.dll could not be initialized. I had backed up e-mail settings and e-mail folders, registry OE folder etc.. prior to setting up vista, so I do have a back-up copy on an external HD of that..not sure how to re-install back-up , but I haven't got to that point yet. Also everytime, I start my xp, I get the pop-up from sgtray stating: an error occurred trying to open pconfig. Can't seem to fix that either! Other things I tried to do to remedy the situation: Installed xp service pack 3. Yep..I royally fixed things good!! Any suggestions? I really don't want to re-install xp and then have to go back and reinstall all my programs again..but I will if that is the only option. One other thing.. also on my external HD, I have a registry back-up.reg file (don't know what this is) for the xp prior to this mess (I think the date made was late May/08), I also have a folder named f8289f4... which contains the i386 folder (again prior to this mess). I was thinking..should I replace the i386 folder on my xp with this (backed up) one..would that fix things or make things worse?? Any help, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
CAnn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:51 AM

Have you tried doing a system restore to a point before this all happened?

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#3 CAnn

CAnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:32 AM

So sorry!! I should have included this Yes! Yes! and Yes! I must have tried to restore a half a dozen times if not more. It did say it restored the first time round, but nothing changed so I kept going back to earlier times even right back to May and then with each try..computer could not restore

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:49 AM

Phew! Sounds like a mess!

I personally would just reinstall. But in this case it sounds like we are trying to avoid that.

This is what I want you to try to do. Try to make a new account make it an administrator.

Just to check if it's an account error.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 16 August 2008 - 11:49 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

Have you tried running a Last Known Good Configuration?

To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:

1.Start your computer.

2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.

3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 CAnn

CAnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

Well that worked Okay.I wa already administrator so I made a new account and called it new administrator and it went through okay

#7 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

Okay,

Now try and do things that you were previously limited to do on that new account.

Also try Dc3's idea if mine doesn't work.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#8 CAnn

CAnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:16 PM

I think I luv you!!! It worked!! I am able to access everything that I was before. Even my outlook came up asking me to set up account etc, but at least it came up!! On the desktop, very few icons were up, bit when I went into programs and clicked photoshop..up it came!!! I hadn't tried DC3's suggestion as I tried yours first before going to last known good configuration. And in response to DC3, no I had't tried that just the system restore. So under the old user, should I try that? or How do I get rid of my old user administrator account? I'm starting to smile again!! :thumbsup:

#9 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:27 PM

Hahaha. :thumbsup:

You can get rid of the corrupted administrator from the account creator.

(Also if you try networking them again try it in a new account.)

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 16 August 2008 - 12:34 PM.

#10 CAnn

CAnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:16 PM

For networking, would I set up another account, say in my husband's name and then network that with my vista? Thank-you soooo much!!! for your help. I really thought that this was a loss cause.
Greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

#11 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:56 PM

I was able to successfully set up a network with XP and VISTA.

Worked for a little while but then vista never saw XP.

I still don't know how I did it.

But the second account was just a precaution as if your computer locks down like it did last time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users