Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Redeem My Error?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cathryn33

Cathryn33

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

Here goes, I really hope someone can help me as I'm at my wits end.

I have a HP m8190a system with a HP w2207 monitor.

For a number of reasons, I decided to install a second HD and 2GB more RAM, with the intention of installing XP on the new drive. Which I have done, but it seems like I can't get XP to recognise any of my hardware - its all coming up generic. Drivers don't seem to help.

For example, I initially had no internet. Setting up the connection the usual way was not working. Finally, we put a network card in (even though XP said the network card was working fine - the clue was it still said that when the cable was unplugged!). Voila, internet, new hardware fixed the problem.

The next thing I'm trying to get working is the monitor. Have installed, uninstalled, reinstalled the drivers. They seem to be working but they say "plug in the monitor" at the end. Also the HP MyDisplay utility says the monitor is not compatible and that it only works with HP. Display settings say Generic Monitor.

At this stage I would just go back to Vista, but in the XP install the drive was assigned letter D, which was also the letter for the Recovery partition on the HP Vista drive. Which, I assume, must be why when I select the HP Vista drive © it loads XP instead of Vista. Guessing the boot info was in that section? Or could there be another reason for this?

Anyway, I just want my hardware back, any way I can. Can anyone help me either get XP to recognise my stuff or help me get back to Vista?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:56 AM

Hi Cathryn33, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Did you install the drivers for the motherboard and any cards that may required them as well?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:06 PM

I'd suggest contacting HP for a set of restore disks for your system. They cost about $20 and will arrive in 4 or 5 days. They'll include all drivers and will set your system back to the way it was when it left the factory.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Cathryn33

Cathryn33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:13 PM

Thank you both.

I looked for the motherboard driver but its an OEM motherboard made for HP and as such has no support from the manufacturer. I contacted HP, hoping to get links for all drivers needed but they said that there is no support for the downgrade to XP and no XP drivers for this system.

So they are sending me the recovery disks, which should be here in 3-5 days. What I am wondering is whether this will re-format my system, as if I was reinstalling Vista? Or will it just act in place of the Recovery partition, allowing me to boot to my original drive (which is still entirely intact, just not bootable)?

Also, being that I am impatiently wanting my computer back, what would happen if I used the registry to change the drive letters? So change D XP boot drive) to N (or something) and K (Recovery Partition on Vista HP C drive) to D.

I found a help file that tells you how to do it (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188), however I'm not sure whether this will just make the one bootable drive I have unbootable, or whether it will make the original hd bootable. I don't mind if I lose the current drive (which is just a fresh install of XP) as long as I get the old drive back on bootup.

So what I have is:

Disk0: HP C (system) | K Recovery
Disk1: D (boot)

and what I want is:

Disk0: HP C (boot) | D Recovery
Disk1: N

(have given up on downgrading to XP ... should I post in the Vista forum instead?)

I would direct this to HP support but they don't seem to understand what I'm asking, so just hoping someone here does! Questions to clarify are welcome.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:53 PM

The recovery disks will put the computer back the way that it was the day it left the factory - so everything that you've got on it will be wiped out.

Although HP doesn't support the downgrade on your model, the information on their website can be used to help install XP - but doing this will be difficult because you'll have to search for the drivers in a backhanded sorta way. First, you'll have to use the specs for the computer, the titles of the drivers (for Vista), and some details about the hardware itself to help narrow down exactly which device needs which driver. Once that's done, then it's just searching on google until you can find the driver in an XP version. Most times it's possible to find the correct drivers this way - but if you can't, then you're out of luck. So I'd suggest locating all of the drivers BEFORE you attempt to install XP.

Since you're getting the recovery disks in a couple of days, you've got nothing to lose by trying the article that you mentioned. Worst case is that you mess it up - and you'll be able to fix it with the recovery disks. Best case is that you'll be able to use Windows and won't need the recovery disks.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Cathryn33

Cathryn33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:13 AM

Thank you for taking the time to respond John.

I did start looking for drivers in that exact way after the post above by dc3. Went to the HP product specs site and found the motherboard model (ASUS IPIBL-LA). A bit of googling uncovered other disgruntled customers who had the same problem I did but no solutions. Reading their stories, especially those that got further than I and actually got some drivers installed, has made me realise that this machine is probably not going to work well on XP anyway.

I am using the system at the moment, got the network going by installing another network card and its fine. The worst thing is lack of monitor drivers, my beautiful HP w2207 monitor is slow and flickery. But not impossible to use the internet etc and preferable to borrowing my 3 year old daughter's computer (slow!) or my husband's (full of programs, always macroing or downloading something). Of course, I can't do much more than surf the net looking for solutions to my computer problems, as I have no programs installed (and I don't think Photoshop would be very kind to me in this environment anyway!).

I think I will get the courage up to venture into the registry and change the drive letters. Maybe tonight when the kids are in bed so they don't hear me swear, lol.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Cathryn33, 19 August 2008 - 12:14 AM.

#7 Cathryn33

Cathryn33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:14 AM

Well, I went ahead and edited the registry. Didn't fix my problem, C drive is still booting up XP splash page but now not loading anything after that since the drive letter for the main XP drive was changed. So I guess I wait for the recovery disks :thumbsup:

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:33 AM

I looked up the specs of that motherboard on the HP website: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...7641&dlc=en

Then I searched the Asus downloads site for it - but found nothing.
So then I went to the Intel site (manufacturer of the chipset) and found this page: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...5&submit=Go!

Although I'd suspect that the drivers here (#'s 1 through 4) were the one's that you need, but I'd run the chipset identification tool (#8) to be sure that you've got the right drivers.

#9 Cathryn33

Cathryn33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:24 PM

Wow thank you for looking that up for me. I didn't think of looking at the Intel site.

What I'm thinking is that if the HP disks don't come in the mail today, I'll reinstall XP to the new drive and try those chipset drivers.

If the disks do come, I'll just reinstall Vista to the C and cop the re-installation of all my programs as a lesson to not muck about with things I don't know enough about!

Thanks again for all your help.

#10 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:23 AM

Before "rolling back your system to factory settings" I would suggest that you give Disk Director Suite 10 by Acronis a try. A trial version is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/diskdirector/

With this you can very simply (really in two shakes of the duck's tail!) fix your system to dual boot and get the option to choose the operating system you want to boot. It also has a myriad other super features.

As Usasma politely warned, prior to using the "roll back" you would have to remove or secure all your data from the partition or HDD to another partition or HDD as it will wipe out everything that you have on the drive, and then install all the OEM and factory settings ( and in some cases also all the factory junk that you really don't want!). I been there and done that.. :thumbsup:

Edited by Bobang, 20 August 2008 - 09:27 AM.

Bobang

#11 Cathryn33

Cathryn33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:02 AM

Update:

No disks in the mail yet.

Re-installed XP on the now called N drive. (Label stayed N through the XP repair, don't ask me why - when selecting the disk in XP setup it was called D - I know which disk it is only because of the size) but when XP loaded and I looked in Explore it was N.

No improvements.

So had a go at installing the chipset drivers from Intel. Ran the #8 identification tool and it confirmed that it was a G33 series 3 chipset, same as the link you provided. First I downloaded and ran the INFINST exe (not the zip). I tried to run the Matrix Storage Manager drivers one (#1) but it said that my system didn't meet minimum specs. Same with the graphics accelerator (#2).

So I thought, maybe that's because I have a graphics card rather than onboard graphics, so I downloaded the Geforce 8600GT driver for XP. Ran it and it just ran a bunch of commands in a window then nothing. From memory, usually when you install graphics card drivers you get a software utility for playing with your graphics settings, right? Nothing like that happened here.

So then I popped in here again and saw the latest post and thought that's exactly what I need. So I downloaded the trial (noting that a license costs $500 US - ouch) and ran the program. I don't know what I am doing wrong but it looks like a disk manager type thing, shows me the hard-drives (and partitions where applicable) and gives me options like defrag, check, partition etc. I must be an absolute moron because I cannot see the part that allows you to set up a dual boot menu (and my duck's tail has shaken much more than twice!).

The program I downloaded is: Acronis Disk Director SuiteŽ Trial version 10.0 (build 2,160)

Feeling really stupid, stuck and stressed, as I accepted a work-from-home job today that requires a computer, plus I have a photography session form last Sunday to proof!

Thank you for your patience.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:04 AM

We can recommend lot's of free programs - so there's no need to spend anything just yet.

Don't worry about the drive letter just yet - but keep it in mind in case of problems later on.

The next move is to go into Device Manager. To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Let us know what devices aren't identified - and for those that aren't, right click on them and select Properties.

Then select the Details tab and scroll down the Hardware ID value. In there you'll find a string of characters that has a VEN_ and a DEV_ string. Post the 4 characters after each of those for us to see (we'll use the VEN_ and DEV_ ID numbers at http://www.pcidatabase.com to identify the hardware). In the event that there isn't that info in the Hardware ID box - just copy all of it and let us see it (mostly these are CPU drivers).

That'll tell us what hardware isn't identified/installed - and then we can set about installing the drivers for each piece that's mentioned.

#13 Cathryn33

Cathryn33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

Thank you so much for walking me through this.

Okay, here are the unidentified devices:

Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
VEN_10DE
DEV_0402

Ethernet Controller
VEN_8086
DEV_294C

802.11 bg WAN
USB\Vid_15a9&Pid_0004&Rev_0001
USB\Vid_15a9&Pid_0004

Canoscan
USB\Vid_04a9&Pid_2214&Rev_0302
USB\Vid_04a9&Pid_2214

(I'm not too fussed about the scanner, I rarely use it and probably have a disk somewhere to install it. I only included it for the sake of transparency, even though it seems to me like it would make no difference, it has become very clear how little I know about the inner workings of computers.)

I am hoping that if we can get the video controller working, we will be able to see the monitor (its not on the device manager list even as generic).

Thanks again!

#14 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:37 AM

I'm sorry, that I wasn't around. I did not mean to leave up the creek without a paddle.. Now that you have Disk Director installed, go to your Program Files on whatever OS it is on and open the Disk Director files. You will find the OSSetup.exe in the list of files. Double click this and it will open a wizard explaining what you are about to do. Install this. This should get you to the setup where you have the option on booting the system you want. If you have any problems, just post back (and PM me) and I will quickly try and supply you with further information on this part of operation on your system.

Bobang

#15 Cathryn33

Cathryn33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:42 AM

Wow - I love this site :thumbsup:

My computer can see my monitor in XP. I searched the device ID on that site you linked to and found it, downloaded the drivers and the install worked :flowers:

I did think I had downloaded those drivers before but I guess it stuffed up somehow that time, anyway I am rapt! No more screen flicker, no more dodgy stretched resolution! Now to install Photoshop and see how it runs on here.

Oh, two other things as well I guess. There's a bit of a mess in the way of networking devices, as I installed a seperate PCI network card to access the network and internet. There are two network adaptors listed in device manager -

1394 Net Adapter
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

I figure the second one is the card. Then there is also the unknown Ethernet controller listed above.

Now, the network is working. Should I work on tidying up and probably removing the PCI card, or should I leave well enough alone?

I'm going to look for the drivers for the wireless network later, after I get PS and Office installed and get some work done! We're not running wireless atm anyway as we found it dropped out and as our computers are all in one room, cords are more reliable and just as easy at this stage.

And the other thing is that I would love to be able to do the dual boot. Those disks still haven't come (and its the 5th working day, they said 3-5), so I still have time to save that drive and complete what I was trying to acheive in the first place. Would be great to compare actual performance between the two operating systems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users