Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Outlook Express To A New Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BFlood

BFlood

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:05 AM

Hello
My Dell computer failed and I took out the apparently undamaged hard disk, put it into a "caddy" whic enabled me to transfer everything on to my Dell laptop. I backed up everything thus saved to an external hard drive for extra security.

My problem is that now I cannot find the messages I had stored in Outlook Express in the "rescued" hard disk from my original Dell. I have also searched the C drive of my Dell laptop, nor in the the external hard drive "just in case", but they should still be in the original hard drive.

I hace searched all three drives using various prompts including .dbx, and tried all the "migration" options in OE, and all I can find are messages that I backed up in January 2007. I have tried tracing all the instances of Outlook Express I can in all 3 drives but cannot find the originals anywhere.

Help please.

BFlood

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:34 PM

You don't mention where specifically you've looked so try this:
Make sure to go into Tools-Folder Options, and select to view hidden files.
Then go to (DRIVE):\Documents and Settings\(USER ACCOUNT)\Application Data\Identities\(Folder with random letters and numbers)\Microsoft\Outlook Express. The .dbx files should be in that folder.
If not, then perform a search of that entire drive using a search string of "*.dbx" (without the quotes). If nothing comes up, I would say they're gone.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 BFlood

BFlood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:20 PM

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to give me advice.

I've done what you say with no success...so the "outlook" (forgive the pun) looks bad.

Can I ask you why, if everything else was safe on the hard drive, OE should have disappeared?

Thanks

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:16 AM

Maybe this will help. Since you've already opened OE it might be too late (see the part in blue), but since they already appear to be gone, I suppose it can't hurt to try.

Power Email Recovery for Outlook Express ( Free Registration )

Power Email Recovery for Outlook Express is a professional data recovery software that recovers damaged *.dbx files where MS Outlook Express stores folders with messages. It also recovers accidentally deleted messages. The unique recovery technology allows the user to read damaged *.dbx files created by Outlook Express and recover accidentally deleted messages. Recovered messages are in the .eml format and can be imported into Outlook Express mail and news bases.

Features

Standard "Outlook Express" - style interface.
Host OS: Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP.
Supported *.dbx file formats: MS Outlook Express 5.0, 5.01, 5.5, 6.0
Automatic or manual search for message base files. R-Mail searches for message bases on all (including network) disks visible by the host operating system.
Recovered messages may be opened directly in MS Outlook Express.
Recovered messages may be saved in the *.eml file format on any (including network) disks visible by the host operating system.
Message source view.

System Requirement

Pentium-class processor, 64MB RAM (128 MB recommended), Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista.

Note: When doing any operation, Power Email Recovery for Outlook Express never deletes from disks, writes to, or modifies in any way, original message bases.

Attention: If you believe that any of your mail or news bases is damaged, DO NOT START OUTLOOK EXPRESS! It may change the message base file in a such way that all messages will be completely deleted.

Power Email Recovery for Outlook Express is a freeware. And you do not need to pay when you use it. However, you need register your copy of Power Email Recovery for Outlook Express when you save the emails that recovered by it.

To receive a free license key of Power Email Recovery for Outlook Express, please fill up the following form. And then our system will send the license key to your email immediately.

http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/power-ema...ook-express.htm

I haven't needed to use it, but I got it and my license key to keep on hand. Registration is simple. You can even use bogus information to protect your privacy if you want to. The only thing you really need is a working email address to receive the key.

#5 BFlood

BFlood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

Hi Mommabear

When I got your email I decided you were probably right and that my OE messages on the old hard drive were lost.

However I followed up your advice and tried the program you recommended and, lo and behold, there were all the original messages buried deep under a layer of about 8 folders.

Strangely enough a Windows Search I had done several times for various permutations of dbx files had revealed nothing. Just for fun I tried the search again after I had discovered them and it still returned "no trace"

Anyway, I am writing to thank you very sincerely for your help. Thanks to you I am operational again,(and have now installed Norton Ghost)

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:49 PM

You're welcome. Glad to know it works, since I've got my own copy of the program saved for any possible future need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users