Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver for Sound Card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:30 PM

How ya doin

On occasion, my sound will just... stop working. Upon opening a music file, Windows Media will prompt an error message saying that there is a problem with my sound device. In the device manager, there is a bang on "Media Control Devices". When I delete it and scan for hardware changes, usually everything will be fine; after a reboot my sound will function normally as well. I would reinstall the drivers for the card, but unfortunatley (as lame as it sounds), I seem to have misplaced the CD. The sound card is an SBLive! that's about 5 years old.

This usually isn't a problem - for example, my sound works fine at this moment. The only thing that I can associate this problem with is either a) The years are getting to the device and it's time for a new one, or :thumbsup: My frequent infections of CoolWebSearch and se.dll (I have a post in the HJT forum if you're wondering) are disrupting my hardware. I notice that after I've been infected is when this problem usually occurs, but I haven't had the problem in awhile. If you're willing to help me out with this, I'd be satisfied, but I'm sure there are more important problems to deal with, as this is just a minor nuisance.

Much appreciative

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:31 PM

Dear Phanta,

No. You should expect the best from your computer. Sound and video are tricky items.

They have to merge with so many items and sometimes they get confused.

Do you have a sound card or onboard?

There could be several software issues.

What OS are you using?

What program does the sound disappear?

What is the system you are using?

Let us know,

junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:48 PM

You can probably download software and drivers from creative.com. It helps to know which SB Live! you have. You have to choose between things like SB Live! Value (very common), and SB Live! and which operating system you're using. You can start here.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:42 AM

Yes, as Herk points out, creative products are well supported.
I recently installed a used soundBlaster live card I picked up for 5.00.
Downloaded the drivers and it worked out well.

From no sound to good sound.
I was pleased.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:39 PM

Most appreciative. Downloading driver updates now :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users