Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Network Connection But No Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

Basic home network setup: 2 PCs in our home working fine with no issues connecting through a standard Dlink 4 port router. Cable modem. All wired, no wireless. Both running Win XP SP2. Neighbor asked me to clean his PC up (which I do as a side business, but have never had this much trouble).

Hooked up his PC just like I hook anyone else's up. Had a good connection so I downloaded all the programs I use to clean up a PC (Spyware Teminator, Malwarebytes Antimalware, SuperAntiSpyware, CCleaner, etc). Found it massively infected with rogue programs (ie. Spyware Quake and others), trojans, etc. Cleaned everything up completely, but windows was still acting glitchy. Next, (I've gone thru so many steps on this that I don't remember what sent me in this direction), one of Microsoft's support posts said I should go to Windows update and update to the latest SP. He's running XP Media Center edition SP2. Microsoft indicated I should install SP3 so I did, only it errored out in the middle of it. After rebooting, Windows would boot to the welcome screen. I'd click the login account, the desktop would blink on then it would log off back to the Welcome screen (same thing in safe mode).

After investigating that for an hour, I found the answer was to copy my userinit.exe over from my own PC. Worked like a charm. SP3 did not install properly and Windows went through its steps to revert back to SP2, but now there is no internet connection. IE7 says it cannot display the webpage. The network connection is fine. I can ping the router and both computers on the LAN. I can ping his computer from the other 2 as well. I found somewhere that indicated I could ping 127.0.0.1 to indicate if his TCP/IP protocols may be corrupt, but that test passed.

I've done the following:
1. Ran WinSockFix and lspfix programs.
2. Under the CMD prompt, ran "netsh winsock reset catalog" and €œnetsh int ip reset reset.log€
3. Verified tcp/ip protocols are set to automatically detect
4. Deleted an old dial up connection still in the Internet options connections list.
5. Ran SmitFraudFix and VundoFix in safe mode (saw a post somewhere that indicated it fixed their same issue).
6. Installed Firefox to prove to myself it wasnt' just IE7. Same problem with Firefox.
7. Verified there is no other firewall other than Windows and disabled that, plus verified both IE and Firefox were listed in the exceptions.
8. Tried connecting in safe mode ('cause I ran out of ideas). No good.
9. (I've tried a few other things. I just can't remember them all)

One odd thing (odd to me anyway) is what comes up after an IPCONFIG:
IP Address..............192.168.0.107
Subnet....................255.255.255.0
IP Address...............?
Default Gateway.......192.168.0.1
What's with the extra IP Address listed with a question mark? I've never seen that before.

Any help will be appreciated because I can't get my brain wrapped around this one.

Edited by possumbarnes, 16 August 2008 - 09:48 AM.

What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:23 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED.
Found Windows SP3 listed in the installed programs list. Uninstalled it and it resolved the issue. Windows must not have backed itself all the way out from the bad installation.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users