Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Visual Basic6 Programming Language

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

Hi,

I want to learn VB6 I'm going to get the program but I wanted to ask if there is any links realted to VB6 programming Language, I have some books on how to create programs but I want some sites that can tell me VB6's Programming language.
Just want to learn the language first.

Any inputs will be apprecitated.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hello extremeboy,

http://visualbasic.about.com/lr/visual_basic_6/122574/1/ => learn about the language
http://visualbasic.freetutes.com/learn-vb6/ => tutorials
http://www.google.com/codesearch => look at code samples
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...mp;search_type= => video tutorials
Regards,

Alan.

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

Hi,
Thanks for those links but,

http://visualbasic.about.com/lr/visual_basic_6/122574/1/ => learn about the language

I couldn't find much articles on the language of VB6 any other recomendations??

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:46 AM

I know VB6, and let me tell you.. I don't recommend learning it. If anything, learn VB .NET. You will have a real fun time with bugs with VB6 and compatibility issues to no end. I also recommend learning C++, it is an awesome language to know.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/bb308774.aspx
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/lesson1.html

Regards,
Adam
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:37 AM

Hi,
Thanks for those links but,

Regards,
Extremeboy

That link was just to give you an outline of the language, there are some articles there on VB6 not that much on coding, thats what the other links were for.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

I know VB6, and let me tell you.. I don't recommend learning it. If anything, learn VB .NET. You will have a real fun time with bugs with VB6 and compatibility issues to no end. I also recommend learning C++, it is an awesome language to know.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/bb308774.aspx
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/lesson1.html

Regards,
Adam

I know that VB.net is more simple than VB6 but I don't have that program as I only have VB6. C++ takes a longer time to learn and I think its alot more difficult then VB, and takes more effort learning it.

What bugs are there with VB6? Haven't encoutered any bugs yet?

Thanks for the advice Adam :thumbsup:

@nigglesnush85
I see, I'll do some more research and see if I can get a page where it lists all the language.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Extremeboy

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

No problem, glad to help, Just a side note, Amazon has some good books on the subject. http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguide...w/2JQTAK4LXT9DD
Regards,

Alan.

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

One question, if anyone knows.
For squareroot in C++ is sqrt is it the same for VB??I tried it today it always gives this error message about subs??
Not sure why? So is it the same or not..Couldn't find much on the language so far. Learned some basic commands so far.
Those links were pretty good, I created a few programs already, looks great :thumbsup:

Regards,
Extremeboy

#9 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:09 PM

I know that VB.net is more simple than VB6 but I don't have that program as I only have VB6. C++ takes a longer time to learn and I think its alot more difficult then VB, and takes more effort learning it.

With VB6, if you start releasing software, you will find that a lot of people will not be able to use it. This will be due to different errors, because people don't have fm20.dll (I think that's the dll it was) and some other error messages unless they are on Win 98. You could create an installer that would put those files there but it would probably double, even triple your workload. I gave up on it and started using VB .NET. You can make software for free with the express version, and it works just fine. I don't even see the need to upgrade to Standard or Professional yet. It does what I need it to.

You can get the express versions of Visual Studio 2008 here. Only downside I have found is they need to have .NET Framework 3.0 installed.

For squareroot in C++ is sqrt is it the same for VB??I tried it today it always gives this error message about subs??
Not sure why? So is it the same or not..Couldn't find much on the language so far. Learned some basic commands so far.
Those links were pretty good, I created a few programs already, looks great :thumbsup:

For square rooting with VB6, you would just raise it to the power of 1/2, there is no actual function that I know of for it.

Dim sqrt As Integer
sqrt = 8
sqrt = sqrt ^ (1 / 2)

Regards,
Adam
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:20 AM

I know the original VB is 18 years old now and I've been using it for 12 but you won't get me changing to VB.Net. I'm in 40 VB forums so you must have been searching for the wrong things. Check and join my VB forum in signature.

You will have a real fun time with bugs with VB6 and compatibility issues to no end. I also recommend learning C++, it is an awesome language to know.

With VB6, if you start releasing software, you will find that a lot of people will not be able to use it. This will be due to different errors, because people don't have fm20.dll (I think that's the dll it was) and some other error messages unless they are on Win 98.

There are no bugs in VB6 that you can't overcome. I tried VC++ before I tried VB and it was a terrible language to learn compared with Basic.

There is no problem installing your application if you use the correct installer and I don't mean P & D Wizard that comes with VB, check out Inno Setup.

Fm20.dll is a dll that is used for additional controls and according the M$ you aren't allowed to redistribute it but there other controls you can use to do the same job.

I know that VB.net is more simple than VB6 but I don't have that program as I only have VB6.

VB.Net is not simple compared with VB6.

No I haven't either.

For squareroot in C++ is sqrt is it the same for VB??

VB has its own Sgr function. :thumbsup:

MsgBox Sqr(7)

Edited by Keithuk, 17 August 2008 - 08:22 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#11 extremeboy

extremeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Dim sqrt As Integer
sqrt = 8
sqrt = sqrt ^ (1 / 2)

So it is sqrt. Didn't work when I tried it. Also setting sqrt as a variable doesn't work with my VB...

@Kethuik

VB.Net is not simple compared with VB6.

It seems its a personal question. I think its simpler as I have read some books on it and also tried it a couple of times at my friends PC.
Thanks for the help, it worked :flowers:
Back to programming again.

Thanks to all.

Regards,
Extremeboy

#12 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

Dim sqrt As Integer
sqrt = 8
sqrt = sqrt ^ (1 / 2)
Didn't work when I tried it. Also setting sqrt as a variable doesn't work with my VB...

No it isn't sqrt read again. VB has its own Sgr function.
MsgBox Sqr(7)

'Or
Dim sqrt As Single 'because it can be a decimal number

sqrt = Sqr(Yournumber)

It seems its a personal question. I think its simpler as I have read some books on it and also tried it a couple of times at my friends PC.

Well if your happy with VB.Net then go for it. I think the free M$ version of Visual basic 2008 has a 90 day time limit to try it. :thumbsup:

Keith

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

The express edition is free. :thumbsup:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vb/

#14 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

The express edition is free. :flowers:

Yes I know its free to download groovicus but I'm told on other VB forums it has a 90 trial period I don't know if its true. I downloaded it but I haven't found a way of burning it to CD's yet, I've talked about this problem before. :thumbsup:

Keith

#15 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:21 PM

I've been using all the express versions from that site for a while now, longer than 90 days. I have never seen any trial limit.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users