Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Receiving Dns Errors Trying To Run Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 K Eddings

K Eddings

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:00 PM

We purchased this PC in 2005. It is a Dell DXP051 running Windows Professional SP2. Up until this week-end we were running McAfee Security Center and Virus-Scan. I had the PC set up for automatic Windows Updates as well as automatic McAfee signature file updates.

We use Comcast High Speed Internet and have a Motorola SB5100 surf-board modem. In the spring of 2008 we added a Netgear WGR614 v8 router.

Our son uses his Toshiba laptop and I use a Dell laptop via wireless connection through the router. This PC is 100% used by my husband for 1.) eMail; 2.) PalTalk chat room; 3.) surfing the web and eBay auctions.

Friday, August 8th (actually early Saturday, August 9th – around 1AM EST) my husband woke me up to ask me to look at a message on the screen. The message basically was warning him about shutting down the PC, that others were using the connection. Neither laptop was logged on and I have never seen this message before. I looked in the Start tray to the lower-right hand corner and saw a warning icon that said that our internet was not protected. When I launched the McAfee Security Center I saw that the signature files were out of date, it stated that an update had not been performed in “ 8 to 29 days”. Based on the list of program updates in that I accessed from the Control Panel, Add or Remove programs - it looks like the last good download/update was on 07/09/08.

I rebooted the PC and tried to run the McAfee updates. This resulted in a “Server not found, DNS error”. I then tried to run Windows Update from the START menu. This resulted in the “Error 0x80072EE7” screen. At this point I gave up and went back to sleep.

On Saturday afternoon (August 9th) I started working on the computer. We had previously installed IE 7 but I uninstalled it since I am not as comfortable with it – more familiar with IE 6. (I had actually hoped that uninstalling IE 7 would reset whatever had been become corrupt – no such luck.)

I searched the internet and checked some tech blogs for similar reports and tried some of the suggestions (i.e.: adding links to Trusted sites, Enabling ActiveX, etc.). Each time I tried Windows Update and received the same error message.

Since I was unable to update McAfee Security Center, I uninstalled it and then re-downloaded it from McAfee’s site. The download worked but the install had errors and only a portion (Security Center with no Virus Scan options) of the application was installed. Updates would not work so I uninstalled it again.

I had previously used Ad-Aware on another computer to find Spyware so I downloaded Ad-Aware 2008 from the internet. The download ran fine but the update link in the application to get the most recent “signature” files resulted in a “Server not found, DNS error”. I then uninstalled Ad-Aware 2008.

Then I read about CCleaner at C/Net.com. I downloaded this application. It automatically updated the “signature” files as part of the install. I ran this and it cleaned up a number of cookies, data miners and trackers.

Since I wasn’t comfortable not having McAfee on the PC I tried to download Windows Defender from the Microsoft site. This resulted in a “Server not found, DNS error”. As a result I went back to C/Net and downloaded AVG Anti-Virus Free 8.0.

I submitted a request for assistance through the Windows Technical Support but none of the "fixes" that they suggested seem to work. My gut feeling is that there is a virus somewhere in the PC blocking updates from specific sites, such as Microsoft or McAfee. One of the suggestions from the Windows Tech was to download Fixwareout.exe or Combofix. I have downloaded those (strange that I can download from Bleeping computer.com but not from Microsoft or McAfee) and run them but still have the problem.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

Hello K Eddings,

While this could be a malware problem it could be something else. I had a similar problem around the same time, can you check the settings in the router? If so can you locate the MTU size. What is the value for this field?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 K Eddings

K Eddings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:46 PM

I checked the registry and my MTU is set at 1492.

I just ran a complete virus scan using AVG 8.0 Free and it found a virus "BackDoor.Hupigon". If it's a backdoor trojan I'm guessing it's the culprit blocking my access to Windows Updates and McAfee.

How do I go about getting the PC back to normal? What is entailed in a PC Restore?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:09 PM

Informative reference: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=12829

Louis

#5 K Eddings

K Eddings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:17 PM

Today I did the following:

Check the background programs

Set DNS to obtain IP automatically
Still not able to run Windows updates without an error message.

Repair Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express 6 by using the System File Checker in Windows XP
To run the System File Checker, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run type sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.
2. Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
3. Restart the computer when System File Checker process is complete.

Reinstall Internet Explorer 6 by using the Ie.inf file
1. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%\inf, and then press Enter.
2. Find the Ie.inf file that is located in Windows\Inf folder.
3. Right-click the Ie.inf file, and then click Install.
4. Restart the computer when the file copy process is complete.

1. Click "Start", click "Control Panel"
2. Open "Network Connection"
3. Right click on "Local Area Connection" and select "Properties".
4. Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click on the "Properties" button.
5. A popup window with the title "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP Properties)" will open. Please select "Use the following DNS server address."
6. Set the IP Address for "Preferred DNS Server" to 4.2.2.2 and for "Alternate DNS Server" to 4.2.2.3

Please go to the following validation site again:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/...?displaylang=en

Rename the Windows Update temporary folder
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. At the command prompt, type net stop Wuauserv, and then press ENTER.
3. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%, and then press ENTER.
4. In the folder that opens, locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SDold.
5. At the command prompt, type net start Wuauserv, and then press ENTER to start the Automatic Updates service.

Follow these steps:
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Automatic Updates tab.
3. Click Turn off Automatic Updates, and then click OK.
4. Restart the computer.
5. Use the Windows Update Web site to install updates manually.
6. After you install the updates manually, turn on Automatic Updates.

At this point I was able to go to Microsoft.com and download Windows Defender, including the updates.

I turned Automatic updates back on and clicked on Windows update. Success!!!

I've run A few back-to-back virus scans (3) using AVF 8.0 and the last 2 were clean.

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions. Hopefully I'm not going to need to struggle with this @#$! computer for a long while!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users