Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Getting Internet Pages To Load

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tealgecko

tealgecko

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

Hi there,

I have had help cleaning up trojans from a desktop computer that had been 'taken over' by a 15 year old. The computer also needed a lot of programs deleted, particularly games (several of which were corrupted and were then removed manually). During this cleanup I started to not be able to connect to the internet well. This computer is on a network, and all the other computers connect quickly (load pages within seconds). This computer almost never loads a page first time around - it usually takes several attempts (ie have to stop the page loading, go to the address bar/link and hit enter to re-load - repeating this up to 10 times - including for this forum) - or it times out. More elaborate pages just never load.

Am wondering whether I've deleted something important relating to IE or connecting to the LAN network? or have other issues relating to being inundated with security issues.

Any help would be appreciated!

tealgecko

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:14 PM

If you've had help removing trojans from the PC has that been through Bleeping Computer?

If so, you should post a new HijackThis log on that thread.

If it was a connection problem no amount of refreshing would load the pages. It might be that you still have other infections dragging down your speed.

If you haven't used Bleeping Computer then go here to post a log.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 tealgecko

tealgecko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

Yes, it was through bleeping computer. They referred me to here (after a clean Hijack This log).

My connection seems good using other computers through the port, just restricted to this computer (on any port). It's a Uni LAN, so it has to be computer specific. Connection was fine before I started deleting programs, even with the bugs.

Is there any way to check settings/config to see if something has been deleted?

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

This method will do a simple reset of the Lan settings. Make sure no proxy settings exist too.

1. Launch the Internet Control Panel by clicking “Internet Options” from the Internet Explorer Tools menu.
2. Navigate to the Connections tab
3. For each connection in the “Dialup and Virtual Private Networks” list, click the “Settings” button
4. Verify that “Automatically detect settings” is checked. If not check it
5. Click the “Lan Settings” button in the Connections tab, and repeat step 4
6. Click OK on the Connections tab.
7. Close IE and restart it.
Posted Image

#5 tealgecko

tealgecko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:25 PM

OK, did as suggested and there was brief (but minimal) improvement - google loaded first try, but adobe.com won't load at all. Have tried other sites as well, and am back to reloading everything (including google). Even replying to this message meant stopping and re-entering the address many times.

I had no connection under 'Dialup and Virtual Private Networks' just have the LAN. It's a direct connection to a wall jack in the building.

Any other ideas? :thumbsup:

Cheers

#6 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:11 PM

You could try RIES. This resets IE settings, disables add-ons which can be a bit flakey and fixes registry entries to factory settings.

You can start it from Internet Options in Control Panel.

Here's some background. Note that this disables the add-ons but these can be turned back on using manage add-ons from tools. This method is useful for searching out the possible add-on that may be causing the problem.
Posted Image

#7 tealgecko

tealgecko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:57 PM

OK, have done that, but it is struggling to load the 'runonce' screen.

I actually reinstalled IE completely since getting rid of the trojans, so would not have thought it was IE related, but a system file or some such.

Is there no program that can scan for missing systems components that relate to internet connections? Am I just better trying to reformat the hard drive?

#8 jasonpc

jasonpc

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:20 PM

Hello,

Can you please do the following to test your internet connection.

Click the 'start' button then click 'run'

type in the box that opens...

cmd

then click 'ok'

in the new command window that opens type in...

ping www.bbc.co.uk

then press 'enter'

this will test to see if you are able to send and receive information over the internet without any interruptions.

please let us know if any packet data was lost.

better still right click in the CMD window and select 'select all' then hold down the 'ctrl' key and hit once the 'c' key on your keyboard to copy the text. copy this info in your reply and mask out any personal info you wish.

#9 tealgecko

tealgecko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:14 PM

Here is what I got back from the cmd (ie nothing)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\>ping www.bbc.co.uk
Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.253.67] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 212.58.253.67:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
C:\Documents and Settings\>

#10 jasonpc

jasonpc

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

ok, please try restarting your pc, when pc is ready wait about 2 minutes before trying again.

if you still have the same results or 'lost data' then please check your firewall settings. disable your firewall. then try the process of pinging again and report back your results.

what antivirus software are you using?

Edited by jasonpc, 20 August 2008 - 06:00 PM.

#11 tealgecko

tealgecko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:52 PM

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay, work has been getting the better of me.

Repeated everything, with the firewall disabled, and still the same response.

Using AVG.

Anything else I can try?

tealgecko

#12 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

Okay, let's try making sure you have a valid connection to the internet first of all. Go to "Start", "Control Panel", "Network Connections" and find "Local Area Connection" (I am assuming you are using a wired connection). Is there any "!", "?" or "X" symbol on the Local Area Connection icon?

If there is no error symbol like that, please right-click on "Local Area Connection" and choose "Status". Choose the "Support" tab at the top, and check for your IP address. Is the IP address currently 192.168.x.x?

A couple things from here we can try. Close this window down, and right-click on "Local Area Connection" again but this time choose "Properties". Look for the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Click on this line and hit the "Properties" button. Make sure it is set to automatically acquire IP and DNS information. If it already was set to this, hit "OK" and remove the check-mark beside "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click "OK" at the bottom. Now right-click "Local Area Connection" again and choose "Properties". Re-add the check-mark to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click OK. Try connecting to the internet again.

#13 tealgecko

tealgecko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

Ok, checked everything and connection is very good. ISP is through a University, so is 149.9.xxx.xx

TCP/IP were set to automatic. unchecked the internet protocol box, reloaded and rechecked. Improved loading bleepingcomputer.com homepage as the first non-homepage webpage (which I normally struggle to load) but as soon as I went to click on my control panel after logging in it has returned to not loading anything...

Had a friend look at the connection speed - it is great sending info, but receiving is almost non-existant...???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users