Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Xp 2008 Seems More Trouble Than The Virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 klesley

klesley

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:11 PM

This is partly my fault, the machine is new, its for my engineering software where I teach. I have been out of town the last 5 weeks in training and had not had the school's corporate antivirus installed. I was behind a good firewall, so wasn't worried. I was home this week and working on preparing projects when the computer informed me that I needed an update on one of the service packs for XP. When I was done, I suddenly had this Antivirus XP 2008 telling me I had 600+ viruses and worse on my machine. I do run HouseCall every so often, and it doesn't see any viruses, just a few spyware and tracking cookies.

My question is: how do I get rid of this thing? Is there a guide somewhere on the site that I haven't found that will walk me through this?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

This tutorial may be of some use to you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-re...spyware-xp-2008

Post back if you have any problems and we'll work on getting you cleaned up.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 klesley

klesley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:13 AM

Thanks, I'll see what I can do today. I'll check back in and let you know my progress.

#4 klesley

klesley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

Thanks Galadriel, I followed the recommendations of the tutorial and it seems to have done the trick.

#5 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:45 PM

You're welcome! Glad to hear it. :thumbsup:
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users